Help

tircoed

Can anyone tell me when I need to stop the pump, to go onto MDI to go on holiday we travel in 2 weeks, also when do I start the MDI would it be when I'm going to start taking my long action insulin in the evening. I have tried to contact my Diabetic Center but they are not returning my calls.

Thanks Emma

D

Deleted Account

Sorry, I can't answer your question and although I have some ideas, I would not want to speculate.

Instead, I have one in return: what is your reason for stopping the pump?
If it is a concern about air travel, I don't believe there is a problem - I fly a lot with my pump.
If it because you will be swimming a lot and in situations where you cannot wear your pump, I understand. Although, I tend to reconnect every hour and give myself a boost of my hourly basal dose before jumping back into the water.

Personally, I would be worried about adding another unknown to my diabetes management when on holiday in addition to more exercise, different food, different stress and, maybe a little more alcohol. So have always stuck with the pump.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Emma I was going to ask the same question as Helen as I'd be reluctant to go back to MDI particularly with the crossover insulin implications in doing so. Just throwing this one out there but if you haven't considered it already how about using the libre while you are away, I use one on hols as it helps me more with change in diet/temperature/control ?

tircoed

Hi Emma I was going to ask the same question as Helen as I'd be reluctant to go back to MDI particularly with the crossover insulin implications in doing so. Just throwing this one out there but if you haven't considered it already how about using the libre while you are away, I use one on hols as it helps me more with change in diet/temperature/control ?
I am on the Omnipod and cannot disconnect, I don't want to take to 2 PDMs, blood tester, Pens having to change pump every 2 days testing after 2 hours when I change the pump, also spend a lot of time in the water. I was hoping just to go back on the MDI which I have been on for 30 years for the time I am on holiday