Help

davidM1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was anyone else’s blood glucose levels all over the place when they were first diagnosed, I went from hypo 2 hours ago too 14.9 after my diner

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes mine did something similar but now three months on everything seems pretty stable with reading in the region 4 to 6.5 90% of the time. I switched to mostly lower GI type Carbs and this seems to reduce the highs as well as making me feel fuller for longer and so now I can go from breakfast at 7am until lunch at 12.30 without a high sugaer snack. So I would not worry too much for the time being but just try to get the amount of carbs consumed under control first.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes mine did something similar but now three months on everything seems pretty stable with reading in the region 4 to 6.5 90% of the time. I switched to mostly lower GI type Carbs and this seems to reduce the highs as well as making me feel fuller for longer and so now I can go from breakfast at 7am until lunch at 12.30 without a high sugaer snack. So I would not worry too much for the time being but just try to get the amount of carbs consumed under control first.
and bear in mind the poster is type 1 and you are type 2.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was anyone else’s blood glucose levels all over the place when they were first diagnosed, I went from hypo 2 hours ago too 14.9 after my diner

Well, anyone's blood sugar can go from hypo to 14.9. That's nothing to do with being newly diagnosed. And it doesn't really suggest your blood sugars are all over the place. You had a hypo and you treated it, resulting in the rise. You might want to think about whether you over treated the hypo, what did you treat it with and how many carbs was it? But, reasistically, a slight post hypo high from over treating is far preferable to inadequately dealing with the hypo. How low was the hypo? Your body doesn't want you to be hypo so it reacts to the hypo by trying to send your blood sugars up with the release of hormones that cause insulin resistance and tell your liver to release its glucose stores. So even if you conservatively treated, you can end up high after a hypo. And, obviously, you've eaten dinner, so depending on what you were before dinner, what you bolused for dinner and the timing of the post prandial test that result might suggest your I:C ratio needs looking at.

Blood sugars are hard to control. The simple fact is, they don't stay in a nice flat line. The only person with blood sugars that don't move is a dead person. It takes effort and understanding to try to get them to stay in the target ranges. And sometimes, when you do everything right, they will still go on their merry way out of range just for fun.

Reactions: therower

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
May I ask which insulin do u take with a meal, do you carb count and how long after food did u check your bs ??