HELP

AnneK

HI Guys

Not been on in ages, Reece is going through a I can't be bothered to remember anything about my diabetes stage at the moment.... However i digress

Reece has been in pain all day, lower right side which leads me to think apendicitis. If he's sitting it goes away however he starts walking or your touch the area he's in pain.... That is the only symptoms he has!! Checked his ketones they are ok....

Am i worrying about nothing. Have sent him to lie down for now... He told his teacher this afternoon, she told him to do some stretches and it would ease of!!!!! However he's been in pain all day....

I don't want to waste peoples time, He isn't constipated he's been ok today normal.

:?

Thanks for listening to my nurotic ramblings

Anne

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Please either contact a Dr or at least NHS 24......08454 24 24 24. They will advise you on the best course of action. Personally, if it was my son I would take him to A & E.

Ken

AnneK

I will have to take him to the local hospital i think as we are currently stationed in Germany at the mo.... He is resting at the mo

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Do you not have a Medical Centre where you are stationed, or a phone number for a Dr there ?

It may be something or nothing, better to be safe than sorry. Help your Son feel better getting prompt attention.

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
Celebratory status, insane wages high fashion and womens make-up
(I'll get shot syaing things like that! :o))
Hi,

I agree with Ken,

Appendicitis is not a big issue caught early, but can be very serious if left.

There are many other things that cause similar symptoms and the average GP only gets the diagnosis right in four out of 5 cases. Better off call into the Hossie where thay can get in experts if need be.

Dave

rae_j

Try this

Thumb in belly button, little finger in groin. Press with middle finger and let go. If pain is worse on letting go indicative of appendicitis - its the McBirnies point. That's how they made my diagnosis all those years ago after my appendix burst.

Hope that helps but get him seen sooner rather than later.

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
Hi ,

I had a grumbling appendix during my 4 month stay in Hospital with severe acute pancreatitis and while it was 'of interest' to me, it was a lot of concern to the Surgeon, as I was still way too ill for my big panc surgery. Not sure which of us was most relieved when it stopped.... probably him, as I was away with the fairies on morphine anyway. :mrgreen:

'McBurneys point' is two thirds along a line drawn from the belly button to the front top of the right hipbone. The exact position is quite variable as our appendix's are not always in the same point or the same place and the really localised pain, especially the rebound pain you describe, is usually seen when the appendicitis has already been 'brewing up' for some while.

In my case the pain started a few inches above the belly button, and over the course of a day, moved downwards and then sideways to the point in question and became less 'general' and more concentrated - quite a common course apparantly.

They also made me move & stretch my leg and hip about which greatly added to the pain in that area and they said that this was also a classic sign. So, if Reece's teacher made him walk and stretch and if it got worse, then Anne, that is another reason to see the Docs.

I'm not a doc and did not offer the above info to Anne before, as like you, I would rather Reece get checked out properly, sooner rather than later.

Anne - Do let us know how Reece gets on - I'm a worrier :)

Be good and be lucky

Dave

ps. The Prof. did promise to whip the little b*gger out when he re-plumbed the rest of my innards but the idea got deep-sixed as I had been on the table for several hours already and the Anaesthetist was getting a bit nervous. It has been no bother since I'm glad to say :D

AnneK

Thanks for all your replies, Reece is currently experiencing an overnight stay in the local German hospital whilst the run tests, they said he is showing classic signs on apendicitis but wat to be sure.... He is on drips and they have placed him on an insulin pump too.

The pain has not left him at all an he's been poked and prodded all evening aggrivating it but the pain isn't getting any worse.

I will return to the hospital tomorrow morning and probably sleep on the phone all night just incase.

Hopefully he will be home with me tomorrow no operation needed.

Anne
xx

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Hi Anne,,

Glad he is safe in Hossie,

Hope all goes well for him and he is out v.soon

Get some Kip now and look after yourself

Dave

(I can sleep now too .... phew! :D )

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Anne.
We here are glad that you took the advice and got young Reece off to the Hospital. It is a worry to us when we see HELP posted on the Forum. We are just glad that he is being looked after and you came back to tell us how he is.

Hope he recovers swiftly.

Ken and Sue
Forum Monitor's

AnneK

Hi Guys

Just a quick update, Reece is still in Hospital.... The appendicts are inflamed but not severe enough to operate at the moment.

They now think he is constipated, of which i am certain he is not..... I know he empties once sometime twice a day...... And the treatments they have given him have not shifted his bowels at all as he went before they gave him it...

SO another day in hospital and more tests tomorrow, meanwhile Reece is still in pain and getting no pain medication for it :(

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Anne :)

They probably want to monitor the pain rather than medicate it which can be tough but perhaps necessary. :( He is in the right place anyway! :)

AnneK

Yeah i know you are right Synonym just don't like seeing him so uncomfortable, i'm glad when he sleeps as he gets a little relief :)

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Hi Anne,

Sorry to hear Reece is still poorly.

It does seem cruel that they have not given painkillers, but there may be good reasons for this.
Appendicitis is usually cause by poo getting stuck in the entrance of the appendix and going hard with time, and a blockage of the appendix can also be caused by bad constipation.
My guess is that they want to make sure he is not constipated and a 'clearance' might lead to recovery without needing surgery - but don't hang your hopes on this happening as you know that he had been to the loo normally yesterday.

Abdominal pain is notoriously hard to treat ( I know, I live with it 24/7) About the only painkillers that will touch the pain are opioids such as Morphine. The trouble with all of these drugs is that they usually promote constipation quite rapidly - just what they want to avoid. Tramadol might be a possibility, but is really zonks some folks in a not really nice way. I would insist that they explain the reasons they have not given pain meds and whether it is possible to find anything that will help him..... rare to find it on wards these days, but Gas & Air (entonox) is very helpful for the sharp 'spikes' of pain.

If the pain really does get too much, I suspect they will get him straight into surgery and whip it out - probably the best outcome all round I think.
If he does not improve soon, I suspect they may decide not to delay further.

Computor games and music or dvd player might help to occupy him a bit. It does take the mind off the pain a little bit, if you can only persuade him that he is up to it.

Tell Reece we all wish him a speedy recovery and look after yourself too

Dave