Help

jay10

Hi, I need some help, my gp and practice nurse are very unhelpfull, I am a type II diabetic for 3 years and have been diet controlled my HBAIC is now 8!!!!! I am currently trying to diet and have lost 7lbs but cannot get my blood sugars reduced what am I doing wrong?
My GP will not give me any testing strips, she says she will only do if I Go on metformin, my argument is give me the oppurtunity to lower it.
Today I have form 7am to 2030 a peach, apricot, apple, minestrone soup and noodles and my blood sugar is 10.8mmol. I just don't understand, Please if anyone can give me some sort of insight to why this is.

Jay :?

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Jay,

I would reccomend having a look on the low carb section. It did wonders for me. I have to be really carefull with fruit and noodles are a no no so you are not alone. I am taking Metformin though as well, they suit me just fine.

I have the collins gem carb counter book and it is my bible. I keep a record every day of the carbs i eat and try to stick around 50 grams for the whole day with lots of chicken and fish thrown in which gives protein and seems to assist my metabolism procesing the carbs I have eaten.

My typical day is:-

Breakfast - 1 X wheatabix with soya milk
snack - 1 or 2 boiled eggs - (these are great - hardly any carbs and ever so filling)
Lunch - soya and linsead burgen bread with small can tuna or fish and loads of salad
snack - irish diet yoghurt from tesco - only 9grams carb and 54 calories
Tea - fish or chicken with salad or veg, sometimes a cheese sauce or mayo to make it interesting
snack - roasted soya beans (tesco in the nut area) or some cashew nuts or seads.

It has worked for me. I've gone from 18 1/2 stone and BG of 26 in January to 14 Stone and BG of 5.5 now. to be honest, with the low carbing i am just not craving food anymore and I feel more full. Perhaps this is also something to do with having snacks so i don't go long without food as well.

Have a go Jay and hopefully you will see some good results.

Best wishes

Carl

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
jay10 said:
Hi, I need some help, my gp and practice nurse are very unhelpfull, I am a type II diabetic for 3 years and have been diet controlled my HBAIC is now 8!!!!! I am currently trying to diet and have lost 7lbs but cannot get my blood sugars reduced what am I doing wrong?
My GP will not give me any testing strips, she says she will only do if I Go on metformin, my argument is give me the oppurtunity to lower it.
Today I have form 7am to 2030 a peach, apricot, apple, minestrone soup and noodles and my blood sugar is 10.8mmol. I just don't understand, Please if anyone can give me some sort of insight to why this is.

Jay :?

Hi,

Is that what you only ate for the whole day?

We're you quite active to?

I assume you currently buy your own test strips as you have the ability to test, but obviously not from your GP!

I agree that sometimes low carbing can be a way to control BG's in type 2's but for what you ate the whole day Doesn't seem to be alot of total carbs at all!

I'm sure your doing nothing wrong, just sometimes going on medication is the only way to get your BG's down.

I would go back to your GP and maybe make a comprimise, say if you can have test strips on prescription for a few months to be given the change to monitor your BG's closer, keep a diary of food intake to be given the chance to lower your BG's without medication and indeed give a low carb diet a good go!

But if you don't manage to get them down then try metformin to see if that will work if diet and exercise don't alone. That may sway her into letting you have them?!

I think you should be given a chance to try with a reduced carb diet, but failing that you do need to control your BG's so you should consider medication too.

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

Sue Morton

Hi, you don't say if you execise at all or what you are doing during the day as if your only eating that and you are working, execising, your body is using energy and in not supplying enough food to give your body energy your liver will dump sugar into you to help give you energy which will send you BS high.

To control you diabetis via food you need to look at what and when you are eating to keep you body healthy and your BS controlled eating hardly anything isn't going to help you do this.

I learnt about your liver dumping sugar when your energy is low or you do some heavy execsise it sees the need to provide sugar to give you energy - I learnt this from this forum and there are so many other things about food you learn here as well as lots more :) .

But remember what is good for one may not be for another the only way to find out is to test and see how your body reacts to that.

Best of luck
Sue :)

jay10

Thank you Carl,ebony321 and Sue very much for replying, I had finished work gone to the gym after which I did my blood sugar........from what I have read that could have an effect and the liver dumping sugar (I didnt know that).
I am going to try the low carbs diet and am looing at the south beach diet? I am marching :x into my doctors on Monday and demanding some testing strips, I will not be put on meds without being given the oppurtunity to try myself to lower my HBA1C. My GP says prescribing testing strips is very expensive for them, Considering I have never had any regular prescriptions I think this is a little unfair.
I suppose I have been eating less to try and get my blood sugar down, but it is not working?
I just hope I and my body can get my head around this diabetes, I dread when I think of the complications.

Jay :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
jay10 said:
Thank you Carl,ebony321 and Sue very much for replying, I had finished work gone to the gym after which I did my blood sugar........from what I have read that could have an effect and the liver dumping sugar (I didnt know that).
I am going to try the low carbs diet and am looing at the south beach diet? I am marching :x into my doctors on Monday and demanding some testing strips, I will not be put on meds without being given the oppurtunity to try myself to lower my HBA1C. My GP says prescribing testing strips is very expensive for them, Considering I have never had any regular prescriptions I think this is a little unfair.
I suppose I have been eating less to try and get my blood sugar down, but it is not working?
I just hope I and my body can get my head around this diabetes, I dread when I think of the complications.

Jay :)

Hi again,

I would politely point out to your doctor that yes it may be on the pricey side to prescribe test strips but he will give them out AND medication at the same time? that sounds a bit contradictive to me. so techinically your idea IS cheaper if that is his reasoning for not allowing you to have them!

Definately think you should be given the change to improve your control with test strips before you jump to medication.

The trick isn't really eating less but changing what you eat, your body still needs energy to work so you can't starve yourself.

Watch out for diets that are high in protein, kidneys can be affected by diabetes so having alot of protein sometimes isn't good.

Have a look around the low carbing section of the forum in the sticky threads to get a good idea about what's involved and good tips on meals and snacks that are low carb :)

I'm sure you will get your head around it all eventually, can be stressful and frustrating sometimes, especially when your in a situation such as this.

Lots of peopl diagnosed at all ages live for years and years with no complications whatsoever, so dont worry yourself about them too much jay :)

good luck with your doctor!