Help!

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry bit of of a long one, but slowly giving up..... i have been T1 for 20yrs and admittedly was not good in the early years, every now and then i become very ill, i know when this is going to happen as i get distinctive smell of rotten eggs in my breath! i become very hot and then teeth chattering cold followed by D & V, this happens very quickly within a 1hr and goes, but takes a good week to recover, some occasion an ambulance has been called as i have collapsed. most recent i was admitted to hospital and the doctors were very thorough, but all they could say was that i had an infection and they could not find out the location and gave my a dose of antibiotics. my blood sugars go a little haywire during this and my blood pressure also drops very low. to add i was also told the latest bout has had an damaging affect to my kidneys, like i needed another challenge!

I have spoken to the diabetic clinic and also my GP which all say it is a infection, but as i say this happen on a regular basis and know one else in the family catches it. I'm at a loss.

Just wondering is any one has experienced anything like this and if anyone can offer any advice? i also suffer from Autonomic Neuropathy and recently changed my diet to gluten and dairy free.

thank you for your time.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry I don't have experience of this @homer190376 sounds awful, unfortunately it's a case of keep pushing your GP for answers, try and keep a diary too recording foods eaten, insulin taken, BG readings in case a pattern can be identified in particular with food groups ? Hopefully someone with some knowledge will come along soon.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi, I’m not sure it’s a T1 related condition, though it could be?
Does it happen after eating any particular foods?
Or . . . Could you be caeliac? (Also an autoimmune condition)
The reaction you describe does happen with some infections.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Have you any crowns? The rotten eggs smell can come from anaerobic bacteria that could be living under a crown or in other deep cavities. It might be worth speaking to your dentist about what is happening and see if they recommend some investigations such as X rays, if you have a lot of tooth restoration work.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
NI @homer190376, Sorry to hear of your troubles.
From my reading, not as professional advice or opinion:
Perhaps ask your doctors about conditions like gastroparesis and helicobacter infection.
Unless you have been diagnosed as having coeliac disease what is the point of a gluten free diet?
Best Wishes:):):)

Jeen

Hello Dear,
I was diagnosed with h.pylori and I'm searching for a natural treatment,
I found this natural product which is made in Israel - It looks good but does anyone tried it here?
I've contacted them and they told me to avoid eating fried food, and they recommended me to drink pure squeezed lemon juice every morning, about one and a half hours before eating or drinking anything else.
To make the long story short, does anyone can recommend this "Helicobacstop" supplement?
Thank you.
Jeena

hellobear007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry bit of of a long one, but slowly giving up..... i have been T1 for 20yrs and admittedly was not good in the early years, every now and then i become very ill, i know when this is going to happen as i get distinctive smell of rotten eggs in my breath! i become very hot and then teeth chattering cold followed by D & V, this happens very quickly within a 1hr and goes, but takes a good week to recover, some occasion an ambulance has been called as i have collapsed. most recent i was admitted to hospital and the doctors were very thorough, but all they could say was that i had an infection and they could not find out the location and gave my a dose of antibiotics. my blood sugars go a little haywire during this and my blood pressure also drops very low. to add i was also told the latest bout has had an damaging affect to my kidneys, like i needed another challenge!

I have spoken to the diabetic clinic and also my GP which all say it is a infection, but as i say this happen on a regular basis and know one else in the family catches it. I'm at a loss.

Just wondering is any one has experienced anything like this and if anyone can offer any advice? i also suffer from Autonomic Neuropathy and recently changed my diet to gluten and dairy free.

thank you for your time.
I get the same, even down to the sulphur / eggy burps before an episode. Been in hospital twice since Jan, was told it was a virus.

I too suffer with autonomic neuropathy and Gastroparesis.

My symptoms are, severe hypo, low BP, diarrhea and vomiting, muscle spasms, weakness, unintentional weight loss and craving salt.

Hospital and diabetes nurse could not give me any real answers and a recent sigmoidoscopy came back clear. After AKI in hospital my recent kidney function came back normal.

I am going to ask my GP to test for Addisons as all of the symptoms fit and I still feel so poorly 6 weeks on.

My advice would be to ask your GP for bloods to be taken. Full blood count, kidney function, liver function, thyroid, antibodies, cortisol, coeliac screen (but you need to be eating gluten when the coeliac screen is done)

I'm sorry I can't help more and for the long reply.