Help

deanf27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone just answer my question please. I'm a type 1 diebetic and on insulin based but does anyone know any sort of signs for the cov19 being a diebetic

MarkHaZ123

No different by the looks of it. Just more susceptible to further complications but mainly if you don't have bloods under control
I may be wrong but Iv been a little worried about it and that's what Iv found to be the most common thing said.
There hasn't been too much data put out about diabetics as yet

Reactions: EllieM and deanf27

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The initial symptoms and signs of covid19 are the same for everyone. Fever, new persistent cough and difficulty breathing.

Reactions: deanf27

deanf27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yh I knw just I have a cough but nothing else but my bloods reading am up and down so was or am a it worried lol

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yh I knw just I have a cough but nothing else but my bloods reading am up and down so was or am a it worried lol
Is it a dry cough, or is stuff coming up? The characteristic cough with this thing is a non-productive cough that comes on suddenly and is pretty frequent.

What sort of “up and down” are your sugars doing?

deanf27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Its dry cough and now I've started to be sick an sugars am reading from 18.4 to 2.1 there up and dow

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Its dry cough and now I've started to be sick an sugars am reading from 18.4 to 2.1 there up and dow

Are you able to test for ketones?

Are you self isolating?

Good luck, stay safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: kev-w

Tongey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone just answer my question please. I'm a type 1 diebetic and on insulin based but does anyone know any sort of signs for the cov19 being a diebetic
Dean, you are, like all diabetics, more susceptible to this awful virus. Unfortunately if you do get it it may mess with your diabetes, but other than that I'm not sure

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have you isolated yourself now? have you checked your ketones? are you following sick day rules? xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

The symptoms though the same may differ in manifestation slightly regarding how it develops? (For anyone.)
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

If it's any consolation to you? Here is an insulin dependant's story contracting COVID 19. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/diary-dad-coronavirus-day-day-3953592

Best sincere wishes.

Reactions: ickihun

deanf27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey hun yh am keeping myself away from everyone yh and yh I'm still being sick dunno y Dow have spoken to my gp today but she said it's not really serious but tbh I think there's more to it then she says just feel like giving up xx kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey hun yh am keeping myself away from everyone yh and yh I'm still being sick dunno y Dow have spoken to my gp today but she said it's not really serious but tbh I think there's more to it then she says just feel like giving up xx kaylz91
We all have days like that, probably me more than most to be honest lol, if you fancy a chat your always welcome to message me, nothing worse than feeling alone when going through this, hope you feel better soon xx

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Is it still a dry cough if you are a smoker?

deanf27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Me a non smoker. Still got a cough not a bad as it was but still there my mum says it could be down to the weather change that's affecting it and stuff but just wanna make sure lol but I'm grateful for all of your comments and support

bmtest

Hi what follows is a timeline of what happened to me and may i underline i have not been tested to see if it actually was coronavirus.

- Dry throat tight restrictive chest
- above sympton appeared on and off for 1 week depending on activity.
- week later from 1st symptom very high blood sugars and sharp increase in demand for insulin. With need to increase Lantus also.
- Extremley tight chest very little room to breathe.
- Neck Ache throat dry and sore but not sore enough that gave pain eatin.
- final few days fatigue chest very tight weak legs and muscles tight.
- Head was dropping forward as everything tight chest and neck.
- Headache with floaters in vision now gone
- Pain whilst in bed in fingers and feet as they were hot and tingling.
- confusion and dreaming each night.
- pain in upper part of arms above biceps.
- Chest muscles had fully tightened as though there was no spare flesh.
-Blood sugars were highest ever recorded for me in 40 plus year and were never up for 5 days solid.
- i did not cough as luckily had been furloughed so i drank drank drank. It a well none fact one you cough you never stop through irritation.
- Finally i felt my airways were in the desert very very dry. The chest was the worst symton and is still hurting on 7th day.
-Temperature only very warm in bed which stopped me sleeping but not sweating.
- Did have lower back pain in kidney area and now and again stomache pain.
- Finally tried doing Rubiks cube and it totally went from head which was unusual as i do it daily. This I recovered in latter days after a refresher.

Thats an honest list i will update once tests available, i should have mentioned the fear but that comes hand in hand with any illness similar at this time.

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
Hi what follows is a timeline of what happened to me and may i underline i have not been tested to see if it actually was coronavirus.

- Dry throat tight restrictive chest
- above sympton appeared on and off for 1 week depending on activity.
- week later from 1st symptom very high blood sugars and sharp increase in demand for insulin. With need to increase Lantus also.
- Extremley tight chest very little room to breathe.
- Neck Ache throat dry and sore but not sore enough that gave pain eatin.
- final few days fatigue chest very tight weak legs and muscles tight.
- Head was dropping forward as everything tight chest and neck.
- Headache with floaters in vision now gone
- Pain whilst in bed in fingers and feet as they were hot and tingling.
- confusion and dreaming each night.
- pain in upper part of arms above biceps.
- Chest muscles had fully tightened as though there was no spare flesh.
-Blood sugars were highest ever recorded for me in 40 plus year and were never up for 5 days solid.
- i did not cough as luckily had been furloughed so i drank drank drank. It a well none fact one you cough you never stop through irritation.
- Finally i felt my airways were in the desert very very dry. The chest was the worst symton and is still hurting on 7th day.
-Temperature only very warm in bed which stopped me sleeping but not sweating.
- Did have lower back pain in kidney area and now and again stomache pain.
- Finally tried doing Rubiks cube and it totally went from head which was unusual as i do it daily. This I recovered in latter days after a refresher.

Thats an honest list i will update once tests available, i should have mentioned the fear but that comes hand in hand with any illness similar at this time.

Sounds very much like Covid. I feel for you and hope you're well now.

I, my husband and Type 1 son have also had it - you just know really. Very similar symptoms to you. My son's blood sugars were at levels we'ver never seen, much as you've described happened to you. He was dx about 3 years ago at 16 and has had pretty perfect control. NOT in the past two weeks though. Shedloads of additional basal insulin later, it's coming back under control. Bolus needs have also increased. I imagine it will reduce when he's fully recovered.

Horrible, horrible virus :-(

I understand there is little known about how it affects people who live with diabetes, though the mortality rate is certainly higher than for other groups of people who've had it. I was panicking, more for my son than me - though it is very scary for anyone. Have been getting up every two hours in the night to check on my son. And every two hours, he was doing 2-3 units of Humalog to bring down. (A unit brings him down by about 4.) Finally last night, the levels were ok and today's average is better than it's been. But that is two weeks on.