help

michele42

im a type2 on meds metformin gliclazide and pioglitazone These dont seem to be working now as daily test blood sugar roundabout 10.5 to 16 with out anything to eat or drink test in am i also have diabetic neuropathy as well and take oxycodone 10mg 4xdaily am feeling really down got a terriable sweet tooth so the urges to eat rubbish isnt helping not sure what to do

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Michele,

Not a type 2 myself, but have you discussed this with GP or your DSN? if not then I suggest you see them as soon as possible.

Nigel

jane22

Hi, I agree you need to get back to your doc or DSN. I see you have a sweet tooth (and me) but what about all the other carbs you eat. If you post your diet for a day here there are some knowledgable folk who may be able to suggest some changes which would help you. Many seem to find that when they have reduced the carbs they seem to crave them less.

michele42

hi thanks for your replys consult at hosp is rubbish no help at all dsn is really helpful but its all the meds the swapping and changing thats getting to me as for food i have had a jkt potato with cheese today and a apple and pear they all keep telling me im not eating enough but im never hungary i feel like stopping all meds as i have had enough

jane22

Sorry to hear you feel so fed up. I'm sure someone will come along who is much more knowledgable about food than me but I really think you should be eating 3 meals a day even if they are small ones. If you don't eat breakfast your BG will most probably go up. For me jacket potatoes are guaranteed to send me higher. I eat plenty of salads and green veg. Oh yes and cauliflower which I find for me is some kind of wonder food. Mashed with a little butter is a great substitute for potatoes. I eat fish especially the oily stuff and lean meat. I have a few yogurts and eat an egg some days. I mostly eat berries for fruit as many other fruits send me higher. Hope this helps a bit. A little tip I was given is to eat an oatcake with a little butter and cheese at bed time and this helps keep down your morning levels. It works for me.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have no appetite and are loosing weight, speak to your DSN about it - the metformin might not be helping. What have they suggested you do about the high blood sugar? Don't let them fob you off with 'eat better, loose weight, it'll be fine'.

If I had sweet sugary things like 2 pieces of fruit my blood sugars would rise. I was told never to eat more than one a day max by the nurse, and was told to eat veg instead.

Have you had a look at the diet forums on here? There might be some helpful meal ideas there?

michele42

thanks for all your replys i will look at the diet forum on here im not a big meat or fish eater so thats why i live on jkt potatos but i agree and dont think they are helping me im hardly eating but not losing any weight i eat fruit more then anything but still not enough :( i thought after 4 years i would be on top of things but i will keep trying :D

C

catherinecherub

Hi michele,
The best advice is here,compiled by the monitors.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Your meter is your best friend to get this right as it is the only way to see which foods are acceptable for you personally.

michele42

i am going to test my bs more often thoughout day had my hb1ac done today if this comes back high im going to stop all meds as they dont seem to be working and asking to try something else thinking of going on a fluid and fruit only diet as well to see if this helps my bs and weight loss

jaykay

Have you seen a dietician? This might help with your food choices. Eating food high in sugars or carbs is not going to help any diabetic I would have thought. You need to see a professional who can help you with a sensible eating plan.

Bertie

Hello to you

I know it's difficult to get your levels right, and food management is such a big part to diabetes. It takes perseverance with your monitor to see how you react to the different food types.

The food forum is a great help to give you idea's for food choices, recipes and top tips which make sense and are simple to try. It is easy to fall into a simple route set foods, but there are options which make it much more interesting and can really help bring down your levels, giving you more energy and control over your health and lifestyle.

Good luck.

michele42

just had my hb1ac done been havng them done 3 monthly this time gone from 7.2 to 8.2 just keeps going wrong way so meds not helping diet not helping going to see nurse at end of feb and see if she can help with both im keeping my fingers crossed :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
michele42 said:
just had my hb1ac done been havng them done 3 monthly this time gone from 7.2 to 8.2 just keeps going wrong way so meds not helping diet not helping going to see nurse at end of feb and see if she can help with both im keeping my fingers crossed :)

Although you are not newly diagnosed maybe going back to basics might help you........

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088&start=0