help

12345vonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
hi everyone ...ive been diagnosed type 2 diabetic since january this year ...ive cut the sugar out my tea ..i dont drink cans of pop any more i dont eat cakes and sweets any more..ive cut down on my food intake a bit ...dont eat bread very much...

ive started walking 3 or 4 times a week
i now need help on what else i can do to help my self as im stuck and confused on what i can and carnt eat to bring my sugars down
ive lost a few ins off my waist and hips so its not all bad ...thank you for any help and ideas ..............

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best advice is to get a meter if you don't already own one and test your blood sugar 2 hours after eating. This should tell you when you have eaten the wrong thing.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Vonnie and welcome to the forum:)

Here is the information we give to new members which I hope will be useful to you. Ask questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

12345vonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
hi everyone ...ive been diagnosed type 2 diabetic since january this year ...ive cut the sugar out my tea ..i dont drink cans of pop any more i dont eat cakes and sweets any more..ive cut down on my food intake a bit ...dont eat bread very much...

ive started walking 3 or 4 times a week
i now need help on what else i can do to help my self as im stuck and confused on what i can and carnt eat to bring my sugars down
ive lost a few ins off my waist and hips so its not all bad ...thank you for any help and ideas ..............

The best advice is to get a meter if you don't already own one and test your blood sugar 2 hours after eating. This should tell you when you have eaten the wrong thing.
hi ..i bought a metre but was told by the nurse that i didnt need one and not to do my bloods

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you are already doing a lot of the right things. I would set yourself a daily target limit for carbs that suits you and the meter. Perhaps 150gm/day? Also, yes, look at the GI of the carbs and keep it low when you can

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well your nurse obviously isn't diabetic herself! We are all different. Through using my meter I have found that bread and mashed and jacket potatoes are the worst things for me personally, but it may well be different foods for you.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Vonnie,

I would give testing a go, and see what your BG is just before a meal and again two hours later. You will be surprised at what you can and can't eat. I agree with what has already been said, we are all different. How will you know if you don't test ?? Good luck .

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Why dont you write a few things you usually eat and we can offer some suggestions on how to tweak it.
Daisys message is really useful

Carry on with the weight loss if you need to and keep up with the exercise.
Ignore the nurse and test as above and let us know your results

Cara

12345vonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
some of the foods i eat ...pork curry ..home made pork mushroom onions sausage all fried in oil..........
i got a actifry to do chips in
bacon out of the oven no fat on
pork dinners ..lamb dinners ...i dont eat veg just the smell of it knocks me sick
i eat cashew nuts ..unsalted
salads
apples bannanas
its like sometimes i feel like i never fill up...

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some of the foods i eat ...pork curry ..home made pork mushroom onions sausage all fried in oil..........
i got a actifry to do chips in
bacon out of the oven no fat on
pork dinners ..lamb dinners ...i dont eat veg just the smell of it knocks me sick
i eat cashew nuts ..unsalted
salads
apples bannanas
its like sometimes i feel like i never fill up...
Two things I would change immediately are no chips as potatoes are very high in starch which your body converts to sugars and then no bananas. Best fruits to eat are berries.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

12345vonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Two things I would change immediately are no chips as potatoes are very high in starch which your body converts to sugars and then no bananas. Best fruits to eat are berries.

thank you ..im still waiting to go on the course threw the nurse about food ..im confused what i can and carnt eat

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I agree with the other posters about using a meter. For me it was the single most important thing I ever did. I allows me to monitor what spikes me and what doesn't and the results are sometimes surprising. Eat to your meter is a popular phrase around here but it works, it really does :)

If you are able, keep up the exercise. Not only is it good for you physically, it's amazing how good you feel after it, almost saintly!

I have found that the most important thing I did was read everything on here. There are many ways of controlling your blood glucose levels but I think you will find that the majority of us, in some way or other, have reduced the amount of carb we eat. It's a bit hard sometimes giving up what we love but it's essential and it's generally possible to replace it with something that doesn't have a bad effect on your levels.

So, read everything on here and you won't go far wrong. You will find your own path to health and I think that you will find that this diagnosis is awful to start with but it can be an opportunity to find a new path to health.

Remember, you aren't alone in this. We all started out new but generally we have learned to cope and you will too :D

Reactions: 4 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Agree with everyone else about the meter you're the one with diabetes not the nurse.

Hint: when you do get a meter you'll pretty quickly find the main culprits for raising bgs are rice pasta potatoes bread cereals and other things that are made from flour. If you seriously want to control your sugars you will need to reduce those as well as sugar. Good luck

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,12345 vonnie.

Your have started well and looks as if you will soon have good control. (looks as if you are already in good control), you can get a BG tester with strips at a reasonable price from Amazon.

In a few months time you will be thinking why do these nurses seem to think they are correct.
Once you get used to testing your bg levels, you will know how good they are for you to adjust what foods etc; your individual requirements should be,as we are all different.

Best of luck and well done.:):)

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another T2 who wouldn't want to be without a meter. Not only did it help me identify those foods i can't eat anymore, but it also helped me identify things I can eat which means that not all the treats I like are off limits. Remember it's your body that has diabetes, not your DSNs, and as such it's down to you to manage your diabetes. If you feel you want to test to keep the spikes down then test even if your doctor or DSN won't prescribe a meter and strips. Once you've identified what you can and can't safely eat then you can ease off the testing regime.

12345vonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
can anyone please tell me do you put the lancetes in the bin or should i get a special box

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I put mine in a sharps box as I have that for my injection needles anyway. Before I injected I used to put my lancets in the bin on the basis that they were 'sealed' with the plastic cover that comes with the lancet. I guess you really ought put them in sharps box if you have one available.