Help...

jules_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Help....hi I am new to the site.I had pancreatic cancer 3 years ago,I had treatment followed by a whipples operation,now in remission ,I have just been diagnosed type 1 and been taking insulin for one week,I have not been well since smash and just wondering when I will start to feel normal ...at the moment taken bg before food but still feeling rubbish and sooo tired .

Last edited by a moderator:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I have no answers to you question .. but I wanted to send you a hug & hope you feel better soon

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @jules_b ,

Welcome to the forums.

"Feeling rubbish" is normal at this stage as your body has to adjust to lower glucose levels. It usually takes at least a couple of weeks.

For me, the tiredness dissappeared immediately when I started injecting insulin, it was like a switch. We're all different of course so it might take you longer, but do be prepared to go back to the doc if the tiredness doesn't pass.

What are your glucose levels like at the moment?

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi jules

Really pleased for you being in remission! I was diagnosed 5 years ago and it took me a few months to feel normal...or as normal as you can I guess. Take time and be patient with your body and you will start to gradually feel better x

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi jules awesome work re cancer I was diagnosed 15 years ago it took maybe 4 months to settle. Mainly because my pancreas was still producing insulin so it was a guessing game but it soon settled hope yours does too

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jules

I was diagnosed on 28 February and like @mahola this was off the back of DKA.

I'm only JUST starting to feel myself now. Had very low energy levels and my brain hasn't been quite right.

Hang in there - it will get better!

Gareth x

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you survivor !! My gosh you've been through the wringer. Do you know, there's a forum on here specially for people who have developed the Big D after pancreatic interventions. It's called Type 3 C for some reason. Go to Browse/Diabetes Discussions, and you'll
find it. Precisely your issues, and people to share with.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-3c-pancreatic-diabetes.73/

Courage! Tho to have come thro pancreatic cancer, you must know you have that.

The very best of luck - and a hug!

Lucy

jules_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @jules_b ,

Welcome to the forums.

"Feeling rubbish" is normal at this stage as your body has to adjust to lower glucose levels. It usually takes at least a couple of weeks.

For me, the tiredness dissappeared immediately when I started injecting insulin, it was like a switch. We're all different of course so it might take you longer, but do be prepared to go back to the doc if the tiredness doesn't pass.

What are your glucose levels like at the moment?
Hi started of at about 17.6 then to 14.2 then going to 10 readings all vary after food ,now over last 3 days I'm doing bg before food and readings are anything from 7.6 to 9 only one high reading before bed that was 17 of to see the diabetic nurse on Thursday

jules_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was first diagnosed at the end of January this year after suffering DKA. It took me until at least March before I felt half human again. Even now I still have days that I am absolutely shattered. Give yourself time and be kind to yourself x
Aw thank you for the advice

jules_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi jules

Really pleased for you being in remission! I was diagnosed 5 years ago and it took me a few months to feel normal...or as normal as you can I guess. Take time and be patient with your body and you will start to gradually feel better x
Aw thank you for the advise

jules_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi jules awesome work re cancer I was diagnosed 15 years ago it took maybe 4 months to settle. Mainly because my pancreas was still producing insulin so it was a guessing game but it soon settled hope yours does too
Hi thank you so much for the advise

jules_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done you survivor !! My gosh you've been through the wringer. Do you know, there's a forum on here specially for people who have developed the Big D after pancreatic interventions. It's called Type 3 C for some reason. Go to Browse/Diabetes Discussions, and you'll
find it. Precisely your issues, and people to share with.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-3c-pancreatic-diabetes.73/

Courage! Tho to have come thro pancreatic cancer, you must know you have that.

The very best of luck - and a hug!

Lucy
Thank you so much will deffo look into that site many thks