Helpful food hints, things you've learned.

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Something I've learned - and especially as a newly diagnosed prediabetic - don't give in to those around you who are all saying things like - 'oh go on - just have a bit of ...... - or well it's only one night.... or it's Christmas.... or etc.... etc... etc...

Last night I gave in to 3 slices of pizza, 2 breaded onion rings and 3 breaded chicken nuggets.

My reading 2 hours later was 8.8

It's still a big learning curve but I knew that those food items would be bad - yet I gave in to those around me - and not wanting to be the party pooper. Also, as the guest I felt I could not exactly ask for a plate of broccoli!

I have not at this stage told people about my prediabetes - again not wanting to be the party pooper - it was not the right time.

But I felt I learned something - either don't go to parties or stuff yourself with the right food before you do.

Hi Orangeteddy,

I did the same with my son, sharing half a Pizzahut Meat Feast and BG went to 13!! So I explained to him that if I continue to do this, he will have to care for me sooner than he’d expect!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One thing I have come across recently are butternut squash lasagne sheets not by any means zero carb but quite low at about 10g of carbs per 100 grams.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm going to make leek or Spanish onion lasagnas and freeze them. Have been meaning too for months.
Family love mince and dumplings so mine will be mostly leek pudding dumplings to bring down the carb content. Egged to brown and crisp.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I have come across recently are butternut squash lasagne sheets not by any means zero carb but quite low at about 10g of carbs per 100 grams.
I actually prefer butternut squash to pasta in lasagne now, much more tasty!

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Soo.. Lettuce wraps. Make a lo-carb BLT. Ditch the bread, stuff the lettuce!

And oddly, I experimented with a pseudo lasagne/shepherd's pie.. thing. Saw some venison going cheap, so minced that, added some beef stock and onions, then rinsed some sauerkraut and used that for the layers with a liberal dose of pepper & crushed juniper berries. I'd pre-cooked the mince, so gave it a gentle bake with a bit of grated mild cheese on top to give it a crust & stop the top layer of sauerkraut from getting dry.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

And oddly, I experimented with a pseudo lasagne/shepherd's pie.. thing. Saw some venison going cheap, so minced that, added some beef stock and onions, then rinsed some sauerkraut and used that for the layers with a liberal dose of pepper & crushed juniper berries. I'd pre-cooked the mince, so gave it a gentle bake with a bit of grated mild cheese on top to give it a crust & stop the top layer of sauerkraut from getting dry.
Ingenious!! Have you tried Polish Bigos? If you like sauerkraut, you really should. Just yumsch.. never know how to spell that!!

Arlmy

Something I've learned - and especially as a newly diagnosed prediabetic - don't give in to those around you who are all saying things like - 'oh go on - just have a bit of ...... - or well it's only one night.... or it's Christmas.... or etc.... etc... etc...

Last night I gave in to 3 slices of pizza, 2 breaded onion rings and 3 breaded chicken nuggets.

My reading 2 hours later was 8.8

It's still a big learning curve but I knew that those food items would be bad - yet I gave in to those around me - and not wanting to be the party pooper. Also, as the guest I felt I could not exactly ask for a plate of broccoli!

I have not at this stage told people about my prediabetes - again not wanting to be the party pooper - it was not the right time.

But I felt I learned something - either don't go to parties or stuff yourself with the right food before you do.

Do go out and enjoy yourself but it is a good idea to eat beforehand so you are not tempted

Reactions: Orangeteddy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Now I’m craving BLTs!

One day I made a ‘ Mexican stew’ type thing. No tomato and no beans. ( beans too carby, tomatoes make me achy)
I took minced beef, green onion, chopped mushrooms ( bean texture). Added some broth and lots of spicy hot sauce like chipotle chaloola, Siracha, green dragon. And some oregano, coriander cumin and garlic. Then melted a little butter in. Wasn’t exactly chili but still tasted great. I have one bowl left in the freezer.
Thinking about it, it would be nice to top some fish or chicken with as a sauce rather than a stew. The wheels are turning....

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Now I’m craving BLTs!

One day I made a ‘ Mexican stew’ type thing. No tomato and no beans. ( beans too carby, tomatoes make me achy)
I took minced beef, green onion, chopped mushrooms ( bean texture). Added some broth and lots of spicy hot sauce like chipotle chaloola, Siracha, green dragon. And some oregano, coriander cumin and garlic. Then melted a little butter in. Wasn’t exactly chili but still tasted great. I have one bowl left in the freezer.
Thinking about it, it would be nice to top some fish or chicken with as a sauce rather than a stew. The wheels are turning....
Sounds good

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ingenious!! Have you tried Polish Bigos? If you like sauerkraut, you really should. Just yumsch.. never know how to spell that!!

Yup.. bigos is great.. and finding more things to do with sauerkraut. Local Tescos sells Dawtona brand in 900g wet/600g drained jars. Which means I've also got about 8 jars to use for making my own pickled things. It's a cheap & easy filler food and if I rinse it, can control the amount of sauerness :)

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I’m craving BLTs!

mmm.. sounds nice. And could probably use the sauce as a marinade? For a spicy base, I love the good'ol Cajun/Creole Trinity of onions, bell/Scotch Bonnet peppers and celery. Cook that with some chicken and sausage, then add some veg instead of the rice for a tasty Jambalaya variation.. And thinking about that, it's another dish where sauerkraut would probably work :)

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found that brown rice spikes my bg’s just as much as white rice. The only difference is that it takes 3-4 hours after the meal to register the spikes.
Since being in Thailand avoid a lot of rice impossible to avoid it all but discovered Thai Rice Noodles do not seem to affect my Blood Sugar while rice does strange but true

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
mmm.. sounds nice. And could probably use the sauce as a marinade? For a spicy base, I love the good'ol Cajun/Creole Trinity of onions, bell/Scotch Bonnet peppers and celery. Cook that with some chicken and sausage, then add some veg instead of the rice for a tasty Jambalaya variation.. And thinking about that, it's another dish where sauerkraut would probably work :)
I love jambalaya and could certainly add some more veg to get semi close. Forgot to mention, and at the risk of being redundant, added chopped avo and added a nice creamy texture. Also stirred in a little mayo.
Now this could be the base for many other things

Reactions: first14808

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yup.. bigos is great.. and finding more things to do with sauerkraut. Local Tescos sells Dawtona brand in 900g wet/600g drained jars. Which means I've also got about 8 jars to use for making my own pickled things. It's a cheap & easy filler food and if I rinse it, can control the amount of sauerness :)
Have you tried pickled eggs, and also quince pickle? I made quince vodka last year and am waiting til 01 new year to sniff

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Obviously do the research to find out what you can and cannot eat to keep your BG where it needs to be. But the one thing I would recommend to everyone, is when you know what is on your "can eat" list, choose things you like. It is horrible trying to stick to a diet of things you really dislike, but very much easier to live on nice food! My Christmas day lunch pudding was strawberries, blueberries and cream. I did not miss the Christmas pudding at all. QED.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • A glucose meter is an essential tool!! (But it is also quite possible to bring glucose levels down without one, basically by drastically cutting out all sweet stuff, bread, pasta, cereals, etc)
  • It's not just sugar that's an issue, it's all (higher) carb foods that we need to take care over
  • It's well worth checking all nutritional labelling and ingredients listings on any processed food, as there's often added sugar in various forms where it's quite unecessary
  • I was right never to be convinced that low fat food - particularly dairy - was "better" for me
  • The high fat part of Low Carb High Fat is actually really just normal full fat and nothing to be fearful of - it's only a higher percentage of our diet in comparison with the carby content
  • Reducing carbs in stages (which I did accidentally) meant I avoided any unpleasant withdrawal side effects (low carb "flu")
  • I've been fortunate in that the food I can eat on LCHF is generally the food I prefer, so I can eat a better, healthier, more varied and enjoyable low carb diet than I could a high carb one
  • It's quite possible to eat low carb when others are eating high carb food in the same house
  • Mince pies now taste vile and surprisingly greasy(!?)...
  • Being able to bake low carb alternative cake, bread, etc, means I never miss the "normal" versions. However, I found I don't actually want other alternatives such as spiralized courgette spagehetti, or cauliflower rice.
  • Eating fat keeps my brain functioning better
  • Dark chocolate, blue cheese and red wine (all in moderation) no longer cause bad migraines
  • Low carbing has helped me come off some long term (non diabetic) meds
  • Low carbing has also helped reduce my blood pressure
  • Losing weight means I also lose my nice layer of insulation and now feel the cold much more
  • Losing weight unfortunately means that trousers become a real droopy health hazard, and are particularly adept at tripping me up on the stairs if I'm not careful...
  • And a bit off topic - my 2 little dogs believe that LCHF is a diet maded in heaven and try to help me out at every opportuity...
Robbity

Reactions: dbr10