Type 1 Helping my husband with diabetes

Hthrspd

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband was diagnosed with Type 1 last December.
Since then, apart from cutting down on his drinking, nothing in his diet has seemed to change...
For breakfast he'll more often than not have something sweet like pop tarts or sugary cereal. Then as his snacks he'll have one or two chocolate bars or mince pies as well as having cake or something after his evening meal.
He is insulin controlled, and says to me that it's fine he can just stab himself with more insulin if he's too high/has something sugary.

I'm worried that he's got this wrong as he's still relatively 'new' to being a diabetic. Am I being overly protective and worrying about him, or does he still need to be eating better irregardless of his insulin injections?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My husband was diagnosed with Type 1 last December.
Since then, apart from cutting down on his drinking, nothing in his diet has seemed to change...
For breakfast he'll more often than not have something sweet like pop tarts or sugary cereal. Then as his snacks he'll have one or two chocolate bars or mince pies as well as having cake or something after his evening meal.
He is insulin controlled, and says to me that it's fine he can just stab himself with more insulin if he's too high/has something sugary.

I'm worried that he's got this wrong as he's still relatively 'new' to being a diabetic. Am I being overly protective and worrying about him, or does he still need to be eating better irregardless of his insulin injections?

People with Type 1 can inject insulin to cover food like cake, but most people tend to do that as an occasional treat. A healthy diet is as important for someone with diabetes as for someone without.

The risk is what's called a 'spike' - that is, blood sugar going too high after a quickly absorbed carby food. That can cause a rollercoaster effect. Your blood sugar is too high so you inject more insulin to correct that, but then it plunges down too low and you need to eat to get it higher again.

Maybe you could encourage him to make small changes eg choose a healthier cereal for breakfast, or maybe have something like poached egg on toast, etc.

How are his blood sugar results?

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could help him by keeping all that sugary stuff off your shopping list and out of the house, so that it's not readily available for him to eat. But also have a look at lower carb alternative options for baked goods - our forum member Ewelina has an excellent diabetic baking blog, and has a recent post on diabetic suitable mince pies - there's a lot of nice treats he can have without having so much sugar and starch. Also get him to try high percentage (75% or more) dark chocolate which is much lower in carbohydrates than the milky versions.

Robbity

Trina_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, this is a tricky one to answer really. In short, as long as he is carb-counting and his HbA1c is fine, then he really is ok to eat whatever he wants.

Here's where it's not so straightforward. The insulin will make him put on weight, that's why a lot of diabetics eat fewer carbs and are often encouraged to keep the sugary snacks to a minimum. Also, you become more resistant to the insulin when you're heavier.

The most important thing though is his overall health. His diet doesn't sound like it's going to be doing his body any favours. If you're not putting the right food inside you, and not exercising, there's the obvious risk of other complications down the line. When diabetics are ill it has a knock-on effect on our sugar levels, and when they're high our bodies heal slower.

I think small changes need to be introduced slowly, and I find changing your breakfast is the easiest. Scrambled eggs on a slice of wholemeal bread is a good place to start, as it feels like a treat and the only carbs are in the bread. Granary bread is also low GI so he shouldn't get a spike after eating it and will make him feel fuller for longer therefore less likely to want to snack.

The best thing you can do is get onto a DAFNE course though as there'll be a dietitian there who can answer all questions about diabetes and diets.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

tnbnate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am with tribal! I carb count and have more than an occasional treat, however I eat the slimming world diet which helps with control and have recently started running which also helps. I have had diabetes for 37 years and I used to do the same as your husband however I find now that I'm doing it properly I'm happier and healthier. His DSN should point him in the right direction! Merry Christmas

tnbnate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am with tribal! I carb count and have more than an occasional treat, however I eat the slimming world diet which helps with control and have recently started running which also helps. I have had diabetes for 37 years and I used to do the same as your husband however I find now that I'm doing it properly I'm happier and healthier. His DSN should point him in the right direction! Merry Christmas
Trina not tribal! **** autocorrect

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My personal view is as good modern insulins are at controlling blood sugar levels. The insulins action profile will not alway match certain foods. (Like refined carby sweet stuff. The same way it deals with a balanced meal.) The metabolism rate may change too. Blood level swings will be inevitable adding to the diabetes managment frustration. In short quick acting carbs bolused for can cause spikes & lows.?

Though your husbands "snacking" sounds like he is treating lows or at least worried about hypoglycaemicia..
Does your husband test regularly?