Here is what I have eaten-confused.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As A T2 the reason I can check so freely is because I opted to buy the SD Codefree. No other meter comes near to the low price of it's test strips. It may read a tad high using the current batch of strips being supplied but when you are judging whether a food spikes you the small difference between all meters doesn't really matter in my opinion. :)

faircot

I agree totally with the diet suggestions other have made here but I'd like to add another factor into the "what food" mix - namely portion control.

I was shocked after diagnosis last year when I started looking at what I was actually eating. As a small example, I would normally pour some muesli or granola into a bowl 'until it looked right'. It was only when I started weighing my food I realised I was probably eating 2 or 3 times a normal sized portion. I found Diabetes UK's book Carbs & Cals very helpful here with a good pictorial breakdown of the nutritional content of lots of natural and prepared foods by portion size on a plate. It should be obligatory for some people to take a copy into McDonald's!

Anyway, after six months on this regime combined with longer and more frequent dog walking, I've lost 35lbs, HbA1c from 8.9% to 5.5% (74 - 37), my total cholesterol had dropped from 5.5 to 2.9 and my BG 2 hours after any meal rarely goes above 8 and, as a side benefit, I feel so much better and fitter.

Stick at it.

Philip99

Yes portion control is poor in my house.
Wife is a chef and makes WAYYYY too much.

How much salad is too much? (lettuce, peppers and a bit of raddish. I ask because my lunch salad was big!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
The diet I follow is based on Atkins Induction Phase, and I've lost over 60lb in the last 2 years. I do slip sometimes, usually with red wine :oops: , but my weight is coming off, if slowly now, and what is more important, my blood glucose levels are almost always within the non-diabetic range.

My diet (Viv's Modified Atkins Diet) is on the Sticky Thread section of the Board Index. What follows is a description of how I work my days' eating.

On my 'basic' Atkins-derived diet, I have a two-egg omelette almost every morning for breakfast; plain, or with mushrooms or cheese. If you don’t want eggs, you can eat bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms – in fact, the full English breakfast, only without bread, potatoes or baked beans.

Occasionally I will have about 30g of Lizi’s granola, or Allbran sweetened with Splenda. Either will take you over your daily carb allowance at first, but sometimes I need the fibre.

There’s no reason why you can’t have salad for breakfast; chicken salad is really very nice in the morning. If you’re short of time, prepare a plastic box full of tomato, sliced pepper, celery, radishes, hard-boiled eggs, cubes of cheese or a couple of Baby Bels, cold meat – bite sized pieces. Shove it in the fridge overnight, get it out in the morning, and grab a piece every time you pass while you’re getting ready.

That does really well for snacks too, or you can sit it on the passenger seat and grab a piece at a time while you're driving.

I usually have a large mixed salad for lunch with either fish (mackerel; tuna; salmon:) or meat (usually poultry); and/or cheese; sometimes an avocado. Mayonnaise.

Supper will be fish or meat (red, poultry or good sausages) with veg (from: broccoli, cauli, leeks, green beans, courgettes, cabbage, a few carrots and so on; low-carb). Sometimes I make an enormous ratatouille and eat that as my veg over a few days. Butter and/or grated cheese on veg. Mayonnaise (full fat).

Snacks (I don't snack every day) are mainly cheese, cold meat, rarely a few nuts (a small handful – almonds, hazel, brazils, walnuts, pecans, macadamia), a few olives; and if I need a 'crunch', oatcakes or sesame Ryvita, with butter. They’re about 5g carbs per biscuit; no more than 4 a day – if you’re being really strict, you shouldn’t eat them at all at first – 20g per day is your allowance on this diet!

Vegetables – I eat up to 14oz of salad, and 14oz of the allowed veg, every day. In practise, it’s probably about 8oz of each – 14oz is a lot of salad!

No fruit at all in the early stage. If I have fruit, it will usually be berries; apples, plums, and apricots/nectarines in season. I certainly don't eat fruit every day.

Cream or live yoghurt with fruit; milk in coffee (1 or 2 a day) and on the cereal if I eat it. I have two pints of semi-skimmed delivered every week, and usually throw some of it away. With milk, the higher the fat the lower the carb; that’s why cream is allowed. I don't eat cheese every day, despite the above. I probably eat 1 pkt (half-pound) of butter a week. Oil is always cold-pressed extra virgin olive - I've just discovered it contains almost 16% saturated fat - nothing is simple, is it?

I don't stuff myself, but my portions would probably be considered on the large side! A chicken will last me 5 meals, for instance; a lamb shank, 2.

As you can see from the above, I eat very-low-carb and I don't limit my fat intake - provided it's not manufactured fat. If you want to eat more carbs a day, use the above as a basic guide but add in more carbohydrates using a carb-counter book to help you find low-carb foods. Preferably veg and low-carb fruits.

As you increase the carbs, so you lower the fat. With many people, particularly me :lol: , it's the combination of fat and carbohydrate that puts the weight on. If I eat high carb, my cholesterol goes up, particularly the bad triglycerides. If I eat Atkins-style, my cholesterol stays at an acceptable level, with an excellent lipid profile, my blood pressure improves and my BGs stay low. But - we are all different. Each of us has to work out what suits him/her, which is why we need our meters.

Good luck - and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Incidentally, metformin can help you lose weight, as well as giving some protection against strokes and cardiovascular disease, and apparently some types of cancer (new research). There are worse things to take - IMHO :D

Viv 8)

susanmanley

with regard to portion control.
As a family we have always had serving dishes and taken our own food. This worked well when we were a large number and encouraged my children [and foster children] to take what they wanted, try things without feeling they 'had to eat it' and worked well. However now there is just the 2 of us I found we were eating larger portions [mainly because I cooked too much from habit] and would sit 'picking' for a while after we had really finish.
I have now started serving up on plates and have found we are definitely eating less.
We also, now, have our main course and the go off and do something [put chickens away or whatever] and when we come back have our dessert..or not.. and this means we only eat it if we are hungry not through habit.

BeccaJaneStClair

faircot said:
I agree totally with the diet suggestions other have made here but I'd like to add another factor into the "what food" mix - namely portion control.

I was shocked after diagnosis last year when I started looking at what I was actually eating. As a small example, I would normally pour some muesli or granola into a bowl 'until it looked right'. It was only when I started weighing my food I realised I was probably eating 2 or 3 times a normal sized portion.

This x 1000. Portion Control was the biggie for me and my husband. Example - Full English brekkie and we'd split one of the 450g tins of beans between the two plates. Looked up and discovered 3TBS is a single serving of beans (and surprisingly, it fits into a ramekin nicely). I no longer have the beans, but Tim has discovered that 3TBS is more than enough!

I also find that if I fill half my dinner plate with fresh greens, cucumbers, peppers, etc. I want less of the rest of the meal -- in fact, I've wound up many nights cooking meat & veg for Tim and then making myself a salad with a slice of the meat, some grated cheese, and a few of the cooked veg chopped up.

I don't do many carbs any more. I have always been a HUGE pasta eater and I'd rather not tempt myself by having it. I'll make meatballs in tomato sauce and Tim will have his on top of wheat penne with a salad, but I'll have mine with just grated parm and a salad on the side.

There’s no reason why you can’t have salad for breakfast; chicken salad is really very nice in the morning. If you’re short of time, prepare a plastic box full of tomato, sliced pepper, celery, radishes, hard-boiled eggs, cubes of cheese or a couple of Baby Bels, cold meat – bite sized pieces. Shove it in the fridge overnight, get it out in the morning, and grab a piece every time you pass while you’re getting ready.

I have to start doing this. In fact, why not pack myself a Lunch the same time I pack one for my husband? Just because he takes his to work and I'm at home doesn't mean I can't have a pack up....and it might actually get me to eat something when he's not home. I'm notorious for not eating while Tim's at work, particularly if he's on the 2-10p shift. He'll get home at 10 and ask me what I had for Tea and I'll reply with "I forgot"....by which point it's way too late to eat anything. Thanks for the idea, Viv!

goose64

I admit that I am confused too - it would be nice if everyone agreed on what we can eat. I'm still at the stage where I need carbs to feel I've eaten a meal. I'm finding breakfast & lunch most difficult - I have cut down my pasta to 1/2 portion wholemeal and ditto rice for evening meal but I feel hungry at lunch if I don't have bread ( yesterday I had a small wholemeal pitta, burger & huge salad & was starving by 4pm)