Hey everyone ^_^

loreenie

Hey everyone :D

I'm new here but I've had type 1 for 10yrs since I was 12. My parents kept my HbA1c <7 when I was young but at university, I had so much freedom - eating out, snacking, not really carb counting and a general over-relaxed approach (I like eating but I should've known better as I'm a vet student!).... Now I'm in final year and my HbA1c = 9.8 :( bad bad bad! :( My parents haven't been that helpful and have sort of given up on me. :cry:

I just finished a course based on BERTIE/DAFNE. There were a few things I didn't really agree with but when I asked, they insisted that I was incorrect but I wasn't convinced :( .... but I found the answers here and this forum is really helpful! I'm really impressed that so many people here have HbA1c in the 5s and 6s :eek:. So I'm determined to count carbs, eat out less and not snack to decrease my HbA1c! Hopefully I will lose some weight too. :)

I'm using Levemir once daily at midnight and Novorapid. My diet is liberal low-carb. Is it okay to just have protein & vegetables for dinner? I'm eating weetabix for breakfast, sandwich and fruits for lunch but they insisted that I must have carbs for dinner too :?:

Thanks,
Loreenie :p

onemanunit

Dislikes
Let's not get into that.
My parents are a bit like that too, annoyingly... but as long as you concentrate and think of the future you can control your carbs easy. Theres nothing wrong with eating muffins ect as long as you inject for it and rememeber to keep the exercise up!. Eating just protein and vegetables is fine, but there isn't anything wrong with pasta or rice for example. I eat alot like you do, although I do throw in every bad food in the world as well..... my hb1acs used to be 5-6 I've had it up to 11 and maybe 13 once. I'm on about 40-50 units of rapid novo insulin a day and 62 of the long lasting stuff at night.

Welcome anyway, I've learnt alot here that I didn't know beforehand, with most people already being daiabetic the knowledge is very helpful.

Theres a good chance they said to have carbs for dinner so that you have slow acting energy to run on while your sleeping, try it, test what both do as close as the same as possible. Personally I think both will work, I also have wetabix for breakfast :D, bad part is I have 3 tablespoons of sugar on mine LOL :)

jopar

Hi loreenie

Firstly welocme to the forum

I take it that when you say a berttie/DAFNE type course that it was a version of your hospitals own making! As I attended the DAFNE course last year, and Yes we were told how to count carbs and cover with insulin etc, but we were never told what amount of carbs to eat per day, per meal or the need to have any with any particular meal!

The only thing we were told about carbs, was that if we didn't want a meal that contained carbs, then we didn't have too they would show us how. this was the consultant who said this.. Then went on to say that his experince that once a person had completed DAFNE and realise how many carbs they were actually eating they naturally reduced there carb intake, which helped with weight lose etc...

But use the knowledge and ask question here in the T1 forum, and you bound to find the answers that will help your to achieve the control that you want at the carb intake level you're happy with..

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum,
im sure you will get to your target as you seem determined, keep reading the forum and asking questions, as for the carbs at tea, there are some meals that i have no carbs with, it just means you need to recalculate your novorapid, some meals im eating under 10g carb so i dont inject at all :D

loreenie

Thanks alot for your replies! :D It's good to hear from other diabetics because I don't really have any diabetic friends.

Controlling carbs was going okay.... until some free cookies and muffins came along.... anyway, back on track now! :wink:

Yes, the course I did was organised by my hospital's diabetic team. It's still relatively new and they're trying to get funding.

I'm finding that I still need some Novorapid at dinner, even if there's very minimal carbs from vegs. I think it's actually because my Levemir has ran out by dinner time (which is 18+ hours after last Levemir injection) and I think Levemir only lasts 14-16 hours max in me. How do I know if I might be better on twice daily Levemir? My diabetic team wasn't keen on that idea though....

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
the majority of people do take their long acting twice daily, yet again this is trial and error, if it works for u then ..brilliant, if u think yours isnt lasting 24 hrs,try it and see, u can always change bk if u want to :D