Hi! 25 years old. T1 for 22 years. Never really talked much with other diabetics!

Lottebagpipe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Title says it all really, I was diagnosed with T1 just before my 3rd birthday. I don't remember life without it, life with diabetes is all I know. You'd think this would make me a pro at dealing with it, but it's actually just made me jaded and bitter ha! I know a lot, been on carb counting courses twice, my mum is a DSN with a degree in diabetes nursing (we live at opposite ends of the country but she always tried to stay out of the car crash that was my diabetes management in my teens heh), I've got all the facts and knowledge and read the horror stories and seen the photographs. Still find managing it insanely difficult.

Anyway I've joined because although I've met other diabetics, I've never really, truly had a support network that GETS it. My partner is amazing, my family are great, my friends are great, but none of them really understand, and I feel a lot of my anger at this disease is down to feeling quite alone in dealing with it, so why not join a huge forum and meet some other people going through the same thing!

So hello! My names Lotte. I'm 25 years old. Live in Bristol with my partner and mother-in-law and their black cat Sam. I like history and cycling and cooking (and eating) and singing. Currently unemployed and volunteering at a local museum. Gemini.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. There are lots of people on here that have various shades of diabetes and can share their experiences.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lottebagpipe

I joined the forum only recently, and have had the opportunity to speak to some amazing people, and get some sound advice too!

I am 35 diagnosed at the age of 5 - so like u, I don't remember life without it.
I have had it for 30 years now, and also like u still struggle to get the tight control I desire. I try so hard, sometimes I get unexplained highs and get frustrated thinking - after 30 years it should be easy! But everyday is different, and we are all human.
I've given myself too much of a hard time far too many times! Since joining the forum and chatting to others - it's been nice knowing I'm not the only one out there that struggles.
Hope u find the forum as helpful as I have.
Tanya X

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Lotte :)

Toriroge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lotte,

Iv joined myself and am T1 and 26. I have had diabetes since I was 12, will be 15 years in October and I can't remeber not having injections and all the other joys that come with diabetes.

I joined today for the same reason as you, to actually talk to some other diabetic people as sometimes can feel lonely!
Tori x

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Lotte,

Iv joined myself and am T1 and 26. I have had diabetes since I was 12, will be 15 years in October and I can't remeber not having injections and all the other joys that come with diabetes.

I joined today for the same reason as you, to actually talk to some other diabetic people as sometimes can feel lonely!
Tori x

Welcome to you also !

Lottebagpipe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the lack of replies. Been fighting with the app not letting me post anything all of a sudden. Weird.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome Lotte, same for me, diagnosed at 7 can't remember life without diabetes, rebelled a little in late teens, 49 year's but still hoping for a cure lol

Lottebagpipe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! And don't we all! I try not to think about it, although I have spent most of this evening reading about the Freestyle Libre and feeling frustrated it's not available on the NHS yet!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lottebagpipe and @Toriroge. Welcome to you both. I'm sure you'll meet some great people on the forum who will be able to give you some great advice.
More importantly with your year's of experience being diabetic I'm sure that something's you take for granted or do without a second thought will prove to be invaluable to someone else.

Reactions: 3 people