1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hi all, can someone help, please?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by GerardSinclair, Jul 5, 2017.

1. GerardSinclair

GerardSinclair Type 2 · Member

Since being diagnosed type two, I've been taking sertraline 50mg anti depressants for one week, and then the Dr bumped me up to 100mg for the past 6 days.... The problem is I've got a really dry mouth and am still drinking extra water....Could this be diabetes still or is it more likely to be side affects from the medication...... Hopefully someone can help?? This weather is too damn hot lol.....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Julia99

Julia99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Anti depressant side effects are often dry mouth

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Hi @GerardSinclair - I think you will find it is the side effects of the Sertraline. I started on 50mg a week ago and I am drinking more water than ever.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mugwump

Mugwump Carer · Active Member

I have been on 100mg of Sertraline and often found I had a dry mouth. It's quite common I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GerardSinclair

Thanks, I appreciate the answer, wishing you a pleasent, happy evening...

• Like Like x 1
  6. GerardSinclair

Thanks, I appreciate the answer, wishing you a pleasent, happy evening...Horrible isn't it ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. GerardSinclair

Horrible symptom lol Thanks, I appreciate the answer, wishing you a pleasent, happy evening...

• Like Like x 1
  8. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

I am on 100mg of sertraline.
    I have an extremely dry mouth but that tends to be all morning. I have had this problem for about 2 years and still ongoing. The dry mouth was long before I started on sertraline but I doubt in my case it's due to the sertraline but it doesn,t help.
    Personally I think it's partly due to being t2 and also the anti psycotic I also am on

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Hi @GerardSinclair - You could try Sugar Free Mints to keep your mouth moist. But, don't eat too many as most sugar free mints/sweets contain Sorbitol or something simular and this can have a laxative effect.

10. GerardSinclair

Thanks Liam, I didn't think of that. I'm gonna get some and see how they go. I'll get some in the morning, I'll let you know how I get on. I'll remember not too many though lol...wishing you a happy, healthy weekend....Thanks again..

• Like Like x 1
  11. GerardSinclair

Sounds like your having a rough time too... Bless you. One minute I was healthy and then bang, life has changed just like that... So damn annoying, I really need to get myself together....I hope you have a nice happy weekend....Thanks for the input....

12. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Hi @GerardSinclair :).

@Contralto has just pointed out in the above post - you could try chewing gum = Sugar Free of course.

13. GerardSinclair

Thanks..... Enjoy your weekend....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook