Hi all need to understand insulin

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
I've been put on insulin novamix 4 months ago due to covid ect its pretty hard to get to speak to gp or diabetes nurse well gard to get hold of pre covid but that's another story

Any how was put on 10 units in morning and 10 at night

I managed to get hold of nurse once in the months I've been taking it and upped me to 12 then told me to up it myself? By 2 units a week till my morning bloods are below 9mmol

I'm now still on only 16 units day and evening sometimes my tests in morning are anything from 9 to 12 mmol

And evening ones anywhere from 10 to 14mmol

I told her I dont want to go real low as I drive ect so id be happy at 8 lowest dont want to start having lows

But my after meal 2 to 3 hours after are high still does that mean part of the nova mix aint working or is that how it is do they just concentrate on your pre meal bloods?

If not what do I do shes always on holiday tried changing gp,s but I'm out of the other catchment areas

Help please

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you told how much carbohydrate those injections were intended to deal with?
Do you calculate the carbs, and are those which cause the highest rises also the ones with the highest carb content?

Reactions: mossy77

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
Were you told how much carbohydrate those injections were intended to deal with?
Do you calculate the carbs, and are those which cause the highest rises also the ones with the highest carb content?
Nope I haven't a clue bar its a mix of insulin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - now I don't use insulin myself - I read a lot of posts though.
When on a mixed insulin, I am pretty sure that you are supposed to be told, or are given the necessary information to work out how many carbs it is expected to deal with.
I expect someone with actual experience will come along, but I strongly suspect that you are going high due to a mismatch of medication and meals.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been put on insulin novamix 4 months ago due to covid ect its pretty hard to get to speak to gp or diabetes nurse well gard to get hold of pre covid but that's another story

Any how was put on 10 units in morning and 10 at night

I managed to get hold of nurse once in the months I've been taking it and upped me to 12 then told me to up it myself? By 2 units a week till my morning bloods are below 9mmol

I'm now still on only 16 units day and evening sometimes my tests in morning are anything from 9 to 12 mmol

And evening ones anywhere from 10 to 14mmol

I told her I dont want to go real low as I drive ect so id be happy at 8 lowest dont want to start having lows

But my after meal 2 to 3 hours after are high still does that mean part of the nova mix aint working or is that how it is do they just concentrate on your pre meal bloods?

If not what do I do shes always on holiday tried changing gp,s but I'm out of the other catchment areas

Help please

Mossy - Nobody here can give you advice on your insulin doses. As you identify, you really need to speak to your team about that, if you are unsure of what you have been told.

My only comments would be that, if it were me, I would find the numbers you've got to, still a bit high. You ask if your higher numbers mean part of your insulin isn't working? I'd not say that exactly, I'd more speculate you haven't yet found the correct amount of insulin you need to take to arrive at your sweet spot, feeling comfortably. From what I've seen on here for a long time, that can take a little while to achieve.

Some find mixed insulins work just fine for them, whereas others find the need to use separate long acting and fast acting insulins, but again, that's a discussion that's best had with your team.

You identify concerns about going low, bearing in mind you drive. I can understand that, but the numbers you need to be concerned about there would be around 4 and below, so you do still have a plump cushion there.

If you find you are unable to speak to your nurse, then you could ask to talk to a doctor, and if they are unable to help you, you could ask to be referred to the Community Diabetes Team.

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
Mossy - Nobody here can give you advice on your insulin doses. As you identify, you really need to speak to your team about that, if you are unsure of what you have been told.

My only comments would be that, if it were me, I would find the numbers you've got to, still a bit high. You ask if your higher numbers mean part of your insulin isn't working? I'd not say that exactly, I'd more speculate you haven't yet found the correct amount of insulin you need to take to arrive at your sweet spot, feeling comfortably. From what I've seen on here for a long time, that can take a little while to achieve.

Some find mixed insulins work just fine for them, whereas others find the need to use separate long acting and fast acting insulins, but again, that's a discussion that's best had with your team.

You identify concerns about going low, bearing in mind you drive. I can understand that, but the numbers you need to be concerned about there would be around 4 and below, so you do still have a plump cushion there.

If you find you are unable to speak to your nurse, then you could ask to talk to a doctor, and if they are unable to help you, you could ask to be referred to the Community Diabetes Team.
Cheers dcuk mod ill try to find out about them ill Google it in a mo

Just feel so **** at mo not sure if its the insulin or I'm not getting enough insulin ect my feet have got more tender since being on it my body aches my sleep is all over the place just not sure its right for me to keep upping the dose without a clue of giving myself to much

Thanks for your advice and to the other few

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers dcuk mod ill try to find out about them ill Google it in a mo

Just feel so **** at mo not sure if its the insulin or I'm not getting enough insulin ect my feet have got more tender since being on it my body aches my sleep is all over the place just not sure its right for me to keep upping the dose without a clue of giving myself to much

Thanks for your advice and to the other few

It can take a while for the body to settle to a new regime - especially if your bloods were running very high for some time. Some folks report felling worse before they feel better for you.

With all else that's going on, the changes you are making are likely to feel all the harder. I can get that.