Hi all! new to the site

lesley1978

Hi there,

I was diagnosed as type one 13 years ago when I was 18 years old. one month after my birthday and during easter week (all my eggs went to waste!!).

I have always struggled with poor control. my hba1c's are normally about 7.5 - 8 but they have been as high as 10. I swing all over the place even when eating the same things, my body just does what it wants to!

I am on Lantus (18u) and Humalog (8u,6-10u and 12u).

I have measured my sugars as low as 1.2 and as high as off my meter (33.3). Luckily I have never passed out. I was admitted to hospital about 8 years ago with ketoacidosis and the doctors told my partner (without my knowledge) that it was the worst case they had seen without dying!

I have thought about pumps for the last few years and to be honest, the thought of permanently being attached to something has always put me off.

I now have a 3 year old daughter and I get married next year and I have decided that I really want to get this under control! I have therefore decided that I would like to go on a pump, if it gives me a better quality of life and it helps me to stop worrying about complications further down the line then hey, what does a little tube and box matter.

I was referred on Thursday and I am now waiting to hear from the consultant. I have been told that I have to be re-educated before they will decide if I can have a pump or not. I am probably in for a very long wait but I am willing to go through it.

So thats me. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Lesley x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Lesley and welcome to the forum. Have a good read round if you haven't already done so because there is a wealth of information here, in particular a section for pump users that might interest you.

salsasue

Hi Lesley and welcome to the forum! :) Congratulations on your decision and wish you the very best!

kind regards, Sue