Hi. Can anyone help?

fene48

That is a tricky one, Badboydevey. A dietician/nutritionist might come in handy. Putting on/dropping weight is not as simple as calories (in whatever form) in = weight put on. I am almost jealous of your problem (weight wise that is), just don't rely on a particular diet to get the desired weight. Seriously, we are a bunch that operates on every possible combination of low, high and protein, carbs and fat - yet manage to get to where we want to. Don't just act on an "if I were in your place, I would........". Please consider expert help in this.
All the best for the future and a great outcome and - keep posting.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Thankyou for that Kevin just checked my blood glucose level and its 16.1 lower than yesterday so looking good so far , I can't thank you enough but when I go and see the local district diabetes team on Friday (for the first time) they are on about upping my gliclazide to 80mg before breakfast and 80mg before main meal 6pm now do I let them or persist in the low carb diet ?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Personally I would say you don't want it upping at present whilst you try and address a lifestyle change through diet. But it must be your personal decision.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Day 2 of low carb diet over and I'm pleased at blood glucose levels
6am 16.1 / 12 noon 24.6 / 6pm 17.2 / 9-50pm 17.7 so mixed day

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Making progress, Davey. Excellent. My docs initially increased my Gliclazide from 80mg to 160mg...made no difference. I stopped taking it as I saw (from making my own records - times, food, pills, readings) that it was carb reduction that was making the real difference. I told my doctors on my next visit, showing them the evidence in my records. My dcotrs accepted this happily and prefer me to manage without meds if possible. It is more than possible! I haven't been back on it at all with no regrets. My advice would be suggest trying a period on diet alone when you are confident you are eating the right stuff, but I'd certainly consider resisting an increase to meds when things are just starting to improve. If not, you won't be clear what is making the difference - low carbs or more drugs. That is mainly why I stopped - to see what was what. As to weight loss...I agree with @KevinPotts, your body should arrive at its comfortable weight and settle; everything else is just a number.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou for that, I would rather take less meds as I take enough for my epilepsy, chron pancreatitis, and siacicor.
Day 3 low carb diet blood glucose reading 6am 12.2 but woke up at 5am with tingling fingertips (right hand) and foot cramp (right foot) but saying that I'm pleased with reading thx pliester and Kevinpotts

Reactions: 2 people

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The only bad post I had was off my close friend she has suffered with diabetes for a good few years and she is a large woman and she said don't listen to them on dcuk forum as they don't know what they are talking about, just listen to your local district diabetes nurse (once a month) now my friend has made no changes, she said you can still eat the same foods (in proportion) she drinks and she is blaming the gliclazide for the weight gain but gliclazide don't increase weight , it just stimulates the pancrease to make more insolin

fene48

The only bad post I had was off my close friend she has suffered with diabetes for a good few years and she is a large woman and she said don't listen to them on dcuk forum as they don't know what they are talking about, just listen to your local district diabetes nurse (once a month) now my friend has made no changes, she said you can still eat the same foods (in proportion) she drinks and she is blaming the gliclazide for the weight gain but gliclazide don't increase weight , it just stimulates the pancrease to make more insolin

Hi Badboy!

If your friend does not want to use this site that's her decision. If you feel comfortable here - stick around mate. Plenty of caring and supportive people with a lot of personal experiences you can tap into. You don't have to slavishly accept everything said here as we are not medicos. But a lot of the bloggers have a good dose of the smarts - I learned heaps from them. Anyway, the place is online and you will always get answers. Beats the hell out of a monthly appointment.
Good luck and keep at it

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's what I told her before I got no advice from doctor and nurse just stay away from sugar but levels were still high since coming online to forums peaple have gave great advice I think my friend just doesn't want to change.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Went doctors for liver/kidney/GAD/C-PEPTIDE but she only does liver and kidney so.i had to go to the hospital for them

Crispy17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the reduction in your BG's so far Badboydavey1 you are doing fantastically.

With regard to the medication question I'd like to offer an alternative view.

Although it might not be apparent from the way some HCPs behave the tablets you are being prescribed are meant to be used in conjunction with diet and exercise. You have done really well so far but your BG levels are still high enough to be causing long term damage.

I can understand that you don't want to take any more pills, I'm taking 20 tablets a day myself so I know exactly where you are coming from. However it seems to me you can take the medication offered as a short term tool to help bring your diabetes under control, then as you learn what foods you can and can't eat and your control gets better and your blood sugar levels drop you can reduce/come off the medication in a controlled manner. I'll bet a penny to a pound that you can reduce/ stop taking the tablets quicker and easier than your kidneys, liver, etc can repair any damage they have suffered.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou crispy17 for that in depth information ummmm I get what you are saying I see my practice nurse tomorrow and also I see the local district diabetes team (for the first time) on Friday also Thursday I have week 2 of juggle which they talk about what foods to avoid etc.

Crispy17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No worries, just wanted to offer a different opinion so you could make an informed choice. One thing to be sure to do though is make sure you tell them you improved readings are a result of the diet changes you have made not just the medication you're taking.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah tomorrow when see the practice nurse I will take my food diary and BG results as well and also at the moment I walk half a mile a day exercise so I think I'm on the right track but they would like me to give up smoking too but at the moment I think I will TRY and cut down but I can't give up all together (not yet anyway) because then I think it will send me to binge eat just for the sake of it

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well day 3 of low carb diet over levels were 6am - 12.8/ noon 17.8/ 6pm 18.7/ 9-30 21.6 so not bad better than 32 goodnight everyone

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well day 3 of low carb diet over levels were 6am - 12.8/ noon 17.8/ 6pm 18.7/ 9-30 21.6 so not bad better than 32 goodnight everyone

Going in the right direction....slow and steady wins this race:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

14/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 7lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When you give up smoking, you will notice that foods will taste better so even ordinary things like vegetables and etc. will satisfy you more which will help you get through the lifestyle dietary changes.

Totally agree with Galja:) and with LCHF your satiety level will be helped and you might be less likely to binge....just take it steady:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

15/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all,day 4 of low carb diet and got practice nurse appointment today,just done BG level and it was 15.8

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You might not get the best reaction when you tell her your dong LCHF...but hang in there.

Give us an idea of exactly what you're eating will you? :)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A bit late for your appointment but. I've found instead of telling my dietitian that I'm LCHF I just say low carb and tell her what I'm replacing the carbs with. Things like a little more meat but try not to do to much protein and have more veggies. She seems to accept this as she likes I'm eating more veg.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
High Kevinpotts I went the see the practice nurse today and I told her I'm doing the low carb diet and shown her the levels since doing it and she was pleased and I asked for my hba1c and other levels and she's gave me these.....(all done on 18/5/2016)

Weight - 65kg (now 64kg)
BMI - 20.75
HBA1C - 97 mmol son/l
Blood pressure - 129/80
Total Cholesterol - 8.3
HDL Cholesterol 1.4 mmol/l
LDL Cholesterol - not available
Triglyceride - 4.9 mmol/l
Estimated GFR (ml/min) 790 ml/min

Hope all this helps