Hi from a newbie

Cayto77

Hi all I was diagnosed yesterday with type 2 as you can imagine my head is all over the place. My GP told me that diabetes.co.uk was my new best friend and should use the site for advice.I have an appointment booked with the nurse in 2 weeks and have been told to keep a food diary. I’ve also been told the usual about cutting portion size down and exercising more but that’s about it. They have said nothing about medication(if needed or not) or if I need to monitor my blood. Was wondering if people have been told to blood monitor or if you just bought your own testing kit. I find it all very confusing at the minute but I’m sure I’ll get my head round everything in time thanks for reading any advice gratefully received

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Cayto77 , welcome to the forum, there’s loads of us who have been where you are now and appreciate how you’re feeling. I won’t bombard you with too much info straight off but a few pointers to begin with.
First you need to find out what your HbA1c is. This is the blood test Drs use to diagnose diabetes. Once you know that you’ll know what you’re dealing with.
Many of us control our diabetes on a low carb diet with or without medication.
As a type 2 you’ll be unlikely to get any blood monitoring equipment on prescription but most of us fund this ourselves to understand which meals we can and can’t tolerate.
That’s it in a nutshell!
We can advise you further, if you have questions, ask away. We can also advise on blood sugar monitors too.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi all I was diagnosed yesterday with type 2 as you can imagine my head is all over the place. My GP told me that diabetes.co.uk was my new best friend and should use the site for advice.I have an appointment booked with the nurse in 2 weeks and have been told to keep a food diary. I’ve also been told the usual about cutting portion size down and exercising more but that’s about it. They have said nothing about medication(if needed or not) or if I need to monitor my blood. Was wondering if people have been told to blood monitor or if you just bought your own testing kit. I find it all very confusing at the minute but I’m sure I’ll get my head round everything in time thanks for reading any advice gratefully received
Hi. I was diagnosed probably 2 years ago and just changed my diet and took up step aerobics. I got my A1c down to 30 something and all was good. No medication. Now after lockdown my A1c has gone right up (your doctor will keep testing you) - this is the sugar in your blood over the last 3 months I think - and now I have been given medication and am taking this seriously once again. You can buy a glucose meter from Amazon (YouTube how to use it) and see what foods spike your blood and then which foods you can safely eat. Basically the GP will keep a track of you from your A1c blood test but you can also keep a track at home.
Don’t b scared or overwhelmed; I was and I’m fine now. Looking forward to being 10 stone again!! X.

KidDougi

I was diagnosed just under 3 months ago. My Hb1Ac was 48, just in the diabetes range. Not sure what country you’re in but in the UK I was referred to a Desmond course. The course details what diabetes is, why it us, and what you need to do to take control if it.
Off the back of that course and with lot of additional research I went down the road on focusing on my carb intake. Allowing the good carbs and eliminating as much of the ‘bad’ carbs as I can. I have also started exercising in the mornings, before my breakfast. My premise is that I use up as much of my glucose reserves as possible before start adding more carbs/ glucose during the day. I also got myself a glucose meter and measure my glucose levels regularly, so that I can build an idea of what my body is doing, before and after exercise and food. First few weeks my levels were all over the place but as I took control of everything my predicted Hb1Ac levels suggest that I’m in the ‘normal’ levels. I’m hoping that my next actual Hb1Ac blood test will confirm this, next week.
Although I have kept an eye on my calorie intake, I haven’t specifically tried to reduce them, but by reduced my carbs, I have found it easy to keep my calories below the recommended for my age and muscles mass size.
Ultimately, you will need to work out what best fits you. This is going to be a lifestyle change for you so whatever flavour of diabetes management you settle on will have to be something you can maintain. Personally I haven’t forbidden any food from my diet, per-say, I have just reduced how often and how much of them I have.
One thing I have noticed is that once you have reduced your carbohydrates intake, any carbohydrate in your meal tastes much sweeter.
The other major thing I did was to focus on building my gut microbes. Worth doing research on that, as there is early research which is suggesting a connection between your gut microbes and many common ailments, including diabetes and weight gain. At very least it has reduced my bloating..
Your health practitioner my not be fully up to speed on this yet as the research is relatively new. What I will say about this is, aim to build you microbes with natural, healthy foods and drink, rather than off the shelf supplements.

All the best.

Reactions: Deediabetic

Cayto77

Hi guys thanks for the reply’s and all the information it’s a lot to take on board I’m 44 and live in the uk. I will look in to the blood monitor so any info on tried and tested monitors that you use would be great. I’m currently looking in into my diet and carb intake and have started reducing my calories straight away. My Hb1Ac was 52 I think the nurse said I’ll find out what it is when I go to my appointment next week. The nurse did mention the DESMOND course so hopefully I’ll get booked on that soon for more information and advice. Thanks again I really appreciate it

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There you go @Cayto77

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips (which I have used in the past but I don’t know if they still work)

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reactions: Cayto77

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
Your GP was probably thinking of the Diabetes UK site which is diabetes.org.uk . This is an independent site.

Personally I feel that while a well meaning organisation that has funded some important research on remission in the UK, it is still supporting dietary choices that I believe are likely outdated by better knowledge. The NHS is slowly pivoting I think to low carb -it was one of the diet suggestions I got when diagnosed and my local NHS does have some literature on it, and my local dietician team seemed positive when I discussed with them recently, but from the sound of things that is still highly unusual and it might not get mentioned to you at all. 90% of its literature and all of that of Diabetes UK is still based around starchy carbs and focussing on GI versus quantity.

Low carb is <130g daily, but you will want to use a meter to see if that is low enough for you personally. I have lost 25% of my body weight on ~120 g day carbs, no calorie counting, and blood sugars look OK now I've started testing, but some others here would be hospitalised by that diet.

PS: blood meters are a pain. I took a while to work out how to get the thing working and trust the results.

Reactions: Cayto77