Hi from Cambridge

davidgolf48

Hi, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself.

I shan't give any personal details away due to internet security risks, so no favourite movie answers from me, or favourite colours, or first pet etc....

I am late forties, 5ft9 and was a school all-round sportsman in all the clubs and teams, I literally excelled, I was sports obsessed.

Later I became a professional golfer( As a teen I practised for 15 hours a day)

Now I think I am developing T2D, and weigh 14.7 stones.

It's all the years of believing in the high carb low fat theory, and after 2 weeks of low carb high fat I had toast with honey and lemon curd last night, later I was sweating profusely and my heart was racing, plus I felt nauseous..surely sign that I am at risk of developing T2D.

I look forward to making friends here and learning/exchanging info about T2D.

Thanks, D.

B

badcat

Welcome to the forum
Best thing to do if you are concerned that your sugars are running too high and / or that you are at risk of T2,then my opinion / advice re the best next steps is
1) get yourself a blood glucose testing set and test your blood sugars for a week or two to see what your fasting blood sugars, those before a meal and those 2 hours after look like. You can get a meter and strips fairly cheaply off amazon
2) if you get a pattern of high / low / unusual readings or are concerned for any other reason, then go to your gp armed with the results and ask for a hba1c test which gives a picture of the last 3 months
Good luck

Reactions: Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

davidgolf48

Hi Badcat, many thanks for your reply, and I will look into it. Do you think my symptoms point to a possible T2D diagnosis or just pre-diabetes 2? Would I need to eat a high carb diet at the same time while I test myself? Thanks.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Badcat, many thanks for your reply, and I will look into it. Do you think my symptoms point to a possible T2D diagnosis or just pre-diabetes 2? Would I need to eat a high carb diet at the same time while I test myself? Thanks.

So what?, we now know that having a lot fewer carbs then is normal in the UK is of great benefit regardless of the label you put on yourself.

I think you should see you GP and tell them what you told us in the first post and ask for a hba1c test, as it is a very cheap test they have no valid reason not to test you. Then regardless of the test result, reduce the carbs you are eating. If the hbalc test result is high or you don't start feeling better just eating fewer carbs, then get a meter and start tracking everything about what/when you eat and your pre/post meal readings.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I agree with ringi and suggest you press your surgery to tell you exactly what the hba1c result is rather than accept a"nothing to worry about". Use that fingure to check where you are on the spectrum using the 50 shades of diabetes chart you can find off a search on your search engine. All the best. Hope your results are good and you have plenty of time to change your lifestyle. Also do your qrisk https://www.qrisk.org/2016/index.php

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The main reasons to get a hba1c today, is that you can then compared it to results next year if you need to track what is going on.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, but here we can't demand things like that, the GP has a budget to consider, he/she decides if such a test is worth it.

A hba1c has a NHS lab cost of between £2.50 and £3.50! Less then the cost of a GP's time "justifying" not doing it to a client.

hba1c is a test of long term BG and is a predictor of diabetes as well as heart attacks, stokes, etc.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd advise getting tests done now, as if you eat low carb then your readings could all be very much lower in a few weeks.
I am fairly certain that I would or should have been diagnosed a long time ago, but ate low carb for decades, and now I am back doing that my readings are heading into normal ranges in the other direction to diabetes.
I doubt I'll ever have a 24 inch waist again, but it is no longer an equator.
A blood glucose meter might be a good idea - testing your reaction to meals and being able to show your GP the numbers could swing the Hba1c test for you.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They turned me down when I asked for gluten test and pollen test too, it's not my right to demand a diabetes test, but I can ask.

These two tests cost a lot more, I don't know the detail costs of them, as I don't have a good reason to ask my wife to look them up in the national reference cost data. (She is a NHS costing accountant.)

B

badcat

Hi
If it was me, id eat a balanced diet when testing i.e. variety of foods you normally eat and see your blood sugar response to each, rather than specifically choosing high or low carb for the whole period - you need inforation on your bodies response to both.
In terms of your symptoms im not a medic so cant really offer much advice - they could indicate something diabetes related, they could relate to the body reacting to a sudden change in the carb load it was being challenged with or it could be completely unrelated - you and your gp would need more info to assess what is happening
In term of the advice to go to gp and request an hba1c immediately, thats always an option. Personally my distrust of most medics combined with a scientific training means that, apart from medical emergencies, I like to spend a Week or two gathering a meaningful data set which I can use to inform the discussion with the medic. In the world of diabetes, a delay of week or two is rarely of any significance ( the exceptions being if you are running massively high sugars, which your first test would tell you anyway). The danger of going immediately is that your gp just does a random finger prick test that can be useful in identirying high sugars or give reassurance by showing a number in the normal range but apart from that tells you nothing and can give false reassurance

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself.

I shan't give any personal details away due to internet security risks, so no favourite movie answers from me, or favourite colours, or first pet etc....

I am late forties, 5ft9 and was a school all-round sportsman in all the clubs and teams, I literally excelled, I was sports obsessed.

Later I became a professional golfer( As a teen I practised for 15 hours a day)

Now I think I am developing T2D, and weigh 14.7 stones.

It's all the years of believing in the high carb low fat theory, and after 2 weeks of low carb high fat I had toast with honey and lemon curd last night, later I was sweating profusely and my heart was racing, plus I felt nauseous..surely sign that I am at risk of developing T2D.

I look forward to making friends here and learning/exchanging info about T2D.

Thanks, D.

Hi, if you are sweating profusely, heart racing and feeling nauseous then you need to book an appointment with your doctor and explain your symptons, they then will decide what tests you will need, that's what they are there for.