Hi From New Zealand

Smileypigface

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I’ve been browsing here for the last week (I live in NZ but am British) and have found so much useful and reassuring information, I thought I should probably introduce myself

I received my T2 diagnosis last Monday having gone to the doctors the previous Thursday with the symptoms of extreme tiredness, thirst and increased peeing. Of course with those symptoms I already suspected what the diagnosis might be - so I’d started researching a change of diet.

Blood test results proved my diagnosis with a HbAc1 of 91. So I’m on 500g of metformin twice a day and have, with lots of help from this website, switched to a low carb high fat diet. At the moment the shock of my diagnosis is keeping me firmly on the diet plan - I’m hoping that lasts as I’m currently not even tempted by anything sweet or carby.

My start weight was 103kg and I’ve weighed in at 100kg this morning - mostly, I suspect, due to the somewhat ‘startling’ side effects of the metformin (fingers crossed that seems to be easing today).

I’m determined to see if changing my diet, upping my activity levels and loosing the weight might reverse the situation - I reckon it has to be worth a good try.

Many thanks for all the helpful info on this site.

Reactions: EllieM and AloeSvea

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Smileypigface and welcome

Sounds like you’re already on the right track so I’ll just encourage you to keep going and use this place for inspiration and support along the way.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome from an Aussie- so just across the pond.

This site is full of useful information. I went very low carb and have had blood sugars in the normal range since then.

In relation to the metformin- I am on the slow release version and have had no side effects.

Good luck and welcome.

Smileypigface

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly 5 weeks on from my diagnosis... and thought I'd post a quick update.

Things are going fairly well - I've experienced a few 'highs and lows' in general emotional state - just a couple of days of self-indulgent 'woe is me' - drowned my sorrows in a Trumpet (NZ sort of cornetto) and then kicked myself that I'd just had the equivalent of more than 2 days of carbs in one treat! I've continued to log all my food and drink intake on MyFitnessPal without fail - which is showing me which days I've done really well on the VLC regime and other days when I've gone over my target 15g of carbs a day. I am seriously considering living on roast pork belly alone for the rest of my life!! :)

I can see that, although I haven't got the carb intake completely sussed, I'm on the right track and am refining my food choices as I go along. I'm keeping a steady weightloss going at approx 1kg per week - so weighing in at 97kg this week, which I'm pleased about.

I had a review with the doctor and increased my metformin to 3 x 500g tablets per day. The doctor reviewed my original blood test results and has now prescribed statins to reduce my cholesterol - but, having done lots of research (loads of helpful information on here), I've decided to hold off taking those and am going to have my cholesterol levels re-checked this week to see what impact the last 5 weeks have had.

I've ordered a glucose monitor - just waiting for it to be shipped from Australia (a curse on the limited availability in NZ!).

So, overall - fairly reasonable progress - looking forward to the glucose monitor arriving to help refine my diet better and give me a better indication of what's going on between blood tests.

Thanks again, for all the fab advice on here :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've ordered a glucose monitor - just waiting for it to be shipped from Australia (a curse on the limited availability in NZ!).

You might be financially better off just using the caresens ones available in NZ. As a T1 I have no problems dosing from them though I admit I did prefer my pre NZ one. However, as a T2 just on metformin (I'm guessing you are self funding, so go Australian if it's cheaper. You can get caresens N strips for NZ$18 for 50).

Alternatively, if you've got serious money to burn, you could consider continuous glucose monitors. Both Abbott (freestyle libre) and dexcom supply to NZ but they are mouth wateringly expensive and probably not worth it if you're not on insulin.

SQ71

Hi. Sounds like you're on the right track with the weightloss, etc. Well done on your progress. Can I ask why you don't want to use the caresens meter? It is the one that is most readily available and used here, and there is good access to reasonably priced tests strips and lancets. Btw: I'm also British (Scottish) living in NZ, recently diagnosed.

Smileypigface

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi SQ71

Nice to hear from a fellow ‘foreigner’

I was attracted to the Accuchek Mobile for the ease of not having to juggle separate testing strips. It works out at 400 tests for about $200 - so about 50 cents a test. I think when I costed it out the Caresens strips work out at about 30 cents a test. For me, as a nervous beginner, I went for the added convenience over the lower cost.

I’ve been very happy with the Accuchek Mobile and found it very easy to carry around with me and straightforward to use.

I have my first diabetic clinic appointment next week so I’m pleased I’ll be able to take several weeks data with me - I’m really hoping to avoid any additional medication - I’ve now lost 10kg (more to go!) and all my BG readings have been between 3.9 and 7 - although they mostly hover around the 4.5 level.

I hope your journey is going well too - I still have down days but overall I’m feeling fairly positive.