Hi, I was diagnosed T2 yesterday

Tedder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I’m Ted and was diagnosed as Type 2 yesterday. I am determined to look after myself better - I’ve already lost a stone and need to lose at least one more. I am having my Covid vaccine on Friday. The pace is moving very fast. I’ve got an eye test booked for Saturday too.

I don’t know how long I’ve had it but I recognise that I had the symptoms of excessive thirst in particular over the last few months. I’m 47 and a blood test for something else revealed concerns when I was in hospital a few weeks ago. I so grateful to get a diagnosis because I can now be treated, make necessary adjustment to diet and fitness and hopefully live a normal life - but I’m also a bit scared.

I’m here for some kind words and support from others.

Reactions: Blossom97

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Tedder and welcome!

Sounds like you’re already on it. Anything you’re particularly curious about or want support with?

Reactions: Tedder

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Tedder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Tedder and welcome!

Sounds like you’re already on it. Anything you’re particularly curious about or want support with?

Thank you. There is something I wanted to ask. I’d heard that the diabetes treatment/medication is exempt (free) but I’m little confused.

This morning it occurred to me that my risk level had increased and that I would be eligible to get a Covid vaccine. I called my GP practice and spoke to a staff member and they confirmed this and booked me in this Friday. I almost feel like crying at that news - but anyway, I also asked about charges but the person I spoke to said that I’d need the pharmacy to give me a form to complete. When I went to the pharmacist, the lady told me that my GP practice needed to apply for an exemption card for me. So which is it?

Also, the pharmacist didn’t appear to limit to free prescriptions to just Diabetes meds, she said all your prescriptions are free. Did I hear that right?

Thank you for the kind welcome. Looking forward to sharing stories and hopefully over time, sharing my own advice and support.

Reactions: Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is something I wanted to ask. I’d heard that the diabetes treatment/medication is exempt (free) but I’m little confused.

If you’re prescribed medication for your diabetes, you should be issued with a certificate by your GP which will mean that medication (and indeed any other medication you are prescribed while taking diabetes meds) is free. I’ve never taken any meds for diabetes so don’t know the exact process.

I’ll tag @Rachox she’ll likely know more than me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal . Yes you need to apply for a medical exemption card. As Goonergal says all prescriptions are then free for the time you take diabetes medication.
If you pay for prescriptions in the meantime ask the pharmacist for receipts. Once you get your card you can claim back what you’ve paid.
Let me just check with Dr Google where you need to apply to ....

Edit to add further info.
Have a look here, this will help:
https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates

Tedder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I have completed the form for my prescription exemption card. I’m feeling positive.