Hi I'm new and would like to say hello.

Sadieallan469

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my name is sadie I'm 16 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since the age of 3. I would just like to know if I could maybe talk to someone. As I'm losing control of my diabetes and with haveing depression am finding it very hard to get it better. I just feel like I have no drive to make me look after it better. I don't know if there's anyone else out there who is a teenager and is also finding hard to look after the diabetes atm and that would like to talk. Many thanks sadie. X

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome :)

someone will come along that can help im sure :)

Sadieallan469

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Arrr thank you I hope so, I just need a little help to get back on track if u know what i mean. X

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im type 2 and old so have very little knowledge of what your going through, of course we all go through depression, mr colvins idea sounds like a good one, i wish you all the very best and hope you get back on track soon sadie :)

Sadieallan469

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Arrr thank you so much, u are very kind. And I hope I can get back on track to for my health sake. X:)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
you will because you want to and are looking for some help, its the most important thing, you will be fine i promise :)

Sadieallan469

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope so. The first thing I guess is admitting I need help. X thank you for all the kind words and advise.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i think it shows real bravery coming here first off, and its such an incredibly hard thing to deal with at any age let alone through these normally difficult years, there are very many type ones here that have been through exactly what you are going through and came out the other side, i think this will instill a strength that many others wont have and therefore allow you to go onto great things :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a teen either (see picture!) and I didn't get Type 1 diabetes until I was an adult. But it helped me when I learned that it's very common for diabetics to get depressed, and very common for them to feel that it's all too much and they can't keep good control. You've been diabetic your whole life. I've been diabetic for nearly half of my life. After a long while the constant effort can be demoralising. So there are lots of people who know how you feel, who have felt (or do feel) exactly like you feel. Including a lot of people your age with very similar experiences of diabetes. We are all in the same boat, and we're in it together, looking out for each other. X

Sadieallan469

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah. Like one big family. I love that. Thank u. It's nice to know I'm not the only one and when I get mooned at about it that I'm sure there are other people that are also getting mooned at because they are the same as me. Thank you. X

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Sadie, don't feel alone, we might be all odd ages but we all share the same feelings, we all want brilliant control and our lives seem governed by the constant trials that type 1 put us under.

It's good that you can talk here - why do you fell that you have lost control and what worries you the most ?

Can you write down what your readings are and what your insulin doses are ?

Just ask away, we will all do our best to help ;)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sadie, I'm 27, so have also left the teenager camp, but I still remember it very well, and believe my situation then had a number of parallels to yours. Therefore, I will share my experiences so you can see there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have managed to take control, and you can too.

I was also diagnosed at the age of 3. Until I went to secondary school, my parents were fully in charge of my diabetes, and my control was exemplary. I will always remember my first day of year 7. One of my new friends offered me a skittle at lunch time. I cautiously accepted, and was delighted I felt no ill side effects. I thought 'great, I can do what I want!' Over the next couple of years my control began to slip. My HBA1C steadily rose, peaking at 10.8. As my control deteriorated, so did everything else. I couldn't concentrate on anything, and my school work suffered. At primary school I was the top of the class. By the end of year 7 I was coming bottom in most subjects. I also refused to admit there was a problem. I became moody and shut off, particularly to my diabetes team. If homework was something to do at the last minute on the bus, noting down blood sugar results was never going to happen. When I was taken to diabetic clinic, I would 'nip to the loo' and make up 3 months of blood test results so I would not get in trouble. My DSN knew I was not bothering. She tried to encourage me by telling me the benefits of good control. When that didn't work, she tried to scare me with the stories of diabetics who got complications. I never cared in front of her. But it was a different story at home. I was terrified, and did not believe I would survive into my twenties or thirties. Every night I would tell myself tomorrow would be a day of good control. Every day I would slip at lunch time, treating myself to sweets because I was unhappy. It was not until I had done my GCSEs that I really started making any effort. My diabetes had become a battle of wills with my DSN. I felt I knew best and she was just getting at me (this was not the case, she tried her **** hardest with me).
When I reached 16 I was transferred to a young adults diabetic clinic at a different hospital. They ran social events for diabetics my age, and I got to meet others in my situation. Everyone else seemed to have better control than me, and I did not like once again feeling like I was bottom of the class. So I started putting in more effort, and over time my HBA1C dropped again.
I think we all need inspiration or an incentive to stay on the straight and narrow with diabetes. You have taken an important step in asking for help. The very best thing you can do is to talk to those around you, and share everything with them. I was terrified of talking things through, and to this day I don't know why. Those close to you will be able to help, and the more you explain, the better they can understand what you are going through. We have not been set an easy task, but you can come through it, and be stronger for it. Best of luck, and I hope my story has given you hope things can change for the better.

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah. Like one big family. I love that. Thank u. It's nice to know I'm not the only one and when I get mooned at about it that I'm sure there are other people that are also getting mooned at because they are the same as me. Thank you. X
I think mooned must have a different meaning down here :dummy1:
not saying it is but the other thing that can happen is that when you were preteen your control was easier. The cycles and hormones could be affecting your control and your BG don't makes sense. you could get frustrated, feel it's all your fault and give up.because you aren't perfect.
everyone is different and your feelings are how you feel. have you been able to talk to your mum and tell her how you feel?
There was a nice girl here a while ago that was overwhelmed with the family support of how strong she was and be brave etc. sometimes you just need a cuddle and a cry

Reactions: 2 people

Sadieallan469

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for such amazing comments, couldn't of asked for better. I've learnt so. Ugh and hopefully with everything that has been said on here I'll be about to sort a lot out. Thank you everyone. X