Hi, just started testing.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not been diagnosed. Between meals I’m around 6. However, 2hrs after meals I’ve had readings of 9.2 and 10.9 the two times I’ve tested so far.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not been diagnosed. Between meals I’m around 6. However, 2hrs after meals I’ve had readings of 9.2 and 10.9 the two times I’ve tested so far.
Hi @Naff-Off-Sugar , and welcome,

Your readings are a little off, and not been diagnosed, yet you are listed as pre-diabetic here... You really want to go see your GP and ask to be tested. Once diagnosed -not saying you will be, but if- you'll get proper checks, meds if needed, and then we over here can advise you better as well, once we know what you have, if anything. (With levels slightly off, you might want to assume something's brewing though.) There are more types of diabetes than most people realise, it's not just T1 or T2, so it really is worth getting a check up. Things to ask for: HbA1c, fasting blood glucose, kidney function, liver function, cholesterol, bloodpressure, the works. Then, go from there. But don't just play doctor at home some. You need a proper GP for this.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Naff-Off-Sugar

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with ME in 1994 and I’m always tired. Have noticed recently that I feel worse after eating. So thought I’d check my levels.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with ME in 1994 and I’m always tired. Have noticed recently that I feel worse after eating. So thought I’d check my levels.
Nothing wrong with checking them, big fan of my meter myself, so that's a good thing. Keep doing that! But you need to have a proper diagnosis too, from a doctor. The more info you have, the more you can get proper help, here and from professionals. Diabetes can cause extreme fatigue too. And I got misdiagnosed with ME when I was in puberty. Didn't find out until much later I was severely vitamin D deficiënt and had Rickets because of it (soft bones). That just makes your muscles waste away as well. T2's, by the way, are prone to D deficency too, so might want to add that to the list for things to check your bloods for. But please, do make an appointment as soon as you can. If you're a T2, (or any type, really) you need to know so action can be taken.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and if you're testing bloods: Do it before a meal and 2 hours after. You don't want it to go up more than 2.0 mmol/l. Random testing is kindof a waste of strips, as it doesn't tell you anything specific. Fasting tests first thing in the morning are good too, you can take all that to your doc.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take vitamin D quite regularly so that should be ok. Diabetes has run in the family in the past. I'll keep testing for a while, see if there's a trend. I'll make an appointment with the GP once I have some info to take with me.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I take vitamin D quite regularly so that should be ok.
Please ask to have them checked anyway. I was told that it's extremely difficult to get your levels up once they're down, and it's one of those things that you might not notice yourself. I had no clue about this when my GP checked mine, and ordered me to come in for vit. D injections instead of popping vit. pills.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's your normal diet?
I'm more savoury than sweet by choice, always have meals cooked from scratch. Find most shop bought sweet things overly sweet, very rarely buy them. Do seem to crave carbohydrate (bread) at times.

Have known diabetes has ran in the family since I was a kid and have been refined sugar aware a long time.

Last edited:

torchman2

I'm more savoury than sweet by choice, always have meals cooked from scratch. Find most shop bought sweet things overly sweet, very rarely buy them. Do seem to crave carbohydrate (bread) at times.

Have known diabetes has ran in the family since I was a kid and have been refined sugar aware a long time.

What does a normal day of eating look like? Eg when do you eat, how many meals, how many calories?

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - Used to have porridge, but stopped a few years ago as didn't feel great afterwards. Now usually just have a couple of slices of bread/marmalade with coffee.

Lunch - Soup and a sandwich or poached eggs on toast or a salad during the summer.

Dinner - The usual 3 veg with meat.

Between meal snacking a couple of biscuits with a coffee. Have stopped the biscuits since I started testing.

Very rarely drink alcohol.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is

Are you testing before you eat and 2 hours after your first bite? This is the normal way of doing things.
If you are, what is your meter telling you about your meal choices? The readings you have posted on this thread tell me that your body is not coping at all well with them. The same would apply to the majority of T2 diabetics not on strong drugs.

My advice is to make an early appointment with your doctor and ask for the relevant diabetes diagnosis tests. (The HbA1c is the normal one)

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Level before lunch 5.
Lunch of homemade parsnip soup with a scoop of Greek yogurt. Two slices of gluten free bread with pastrami. Mug of black weak tea.
Level two hours later 9.9.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Level before lunch 5.
Lunch of homemade parsnip soup with two slices of gluten free bread with pastrami. Mug of black weak tea.
Level two hours later 9.9.

That increase of almost 5mmol/l should tell you that your meal had far too many carbs for your body to cope with, and that your body is not processing the glucose the carbs convert to. A rise of no more than 2mmol/l, preferably less, is the aim. Test again every half an hour after the 2 hours to see when it returns to around 5mmol/l. A normal non-diabetic will be back to base well before the 3 hour mark