hi - new member & struggling

catlover

Hi, I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic a few weeks ago. My blood sugar was high and the doctor queried if I needed medication. However, I had an appointment with the diabetic nurse & was told that I should wait 3 months & see how I went with diet control.
I just feel I have been left floundering - there was no mention of testing my blood sugar level and I have little ideas of what I can eat, especially for snacks/desserts (I do have a sweet tooth).
I have virtually cut out all sweets, cakes etc and stick to things like Rich Tea biscuits or nuts if I have a snack, but I have no idea if that is right.
I have always had a tendency to comfort eat when I am unhappy/fed up and I am finding it really hard not to pig out on Rich Tea biscuits when I'm fed up. It is hard to stop myself when I just feel pretty confused as to what I should be doing.
I am sure there must be others out there who can either give me some advice or just a bit of encouragement/support. It can feel quite lonely when you are struggling to manage this on your own (my partner does try to help but he isn't sure himself & keeps buying me low fat/high sugar items etc thinking he is doing the right thing!)
Thanks for reading this & hopefully someone can help a bit! :?:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
please read our type 2 section, im type 1 and it is a struggle, there are many people on here who can and will support you through your learning process,
the only real way to know your blood levels is to get a monitor and test :D

jaykay

Hey OP. If you are a bit of a foodie, I would recommend the food forum here and go through the recipes and snacks. Focusing on the positive and what you CAN eat helps a little, otherwise it's too easy to just get overwhelmed by all the stuff you can't/shouldn't eat. Good luck ! :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Catlover (I am a cat lover too) welcome to the forum :)

To give you a general idea what to do there is basic information that's given to newbies- here is the link

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Hope it helps you. (You may find you should have just one rich tea biscuit)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Catlover and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you feel isolated by your care team but you will get lots of advice and support here :D

And just for you a little video for you to enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmhjf0rKe8 I bet you can't watch it and not smile :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Oh so cute Sid :)