Hi, New Type 1 Diabetic

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed beginning of December and being a Type 1 Diabetic is one big struggle at the moment. Struggling to keep it under control, everything is seeming to become one big struggle and I am struggling to view life in a happy way. The diabetic nurse has been fantastic but mentally it seems to be one big struggle. Keep on worrying about the long term complications because I want to live a happy nice long healthy life and live until I am very old :(

Nice to meet everyone
Matt x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Matt.
Welcome to the Forum. If you have any questions just ask away. You will get plenty of help and support here. :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya matt and welcome to the forum :D i totally know how u feel, when 1st diagnosed i felt the same..
infact for 2 yrs till i joined here i felt the same, it does get easier the more you learn and theres many on here who are fit and healthy and have been diabetic many yrs :D
amanda

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
We'll i'm going to the gym regular (4-5times a week) for say around 90-120mins sessions, both cardiovascular and strength and I always play football 2-3 times a week (5 a side), I always go for the odd run and walk the dogs etc plus walking etc in work.

I eat healthy and drink alot of water!

Surely these are good signs?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Eating healthy and keeping hydrated are part of the scheme of things. :)

What's more important is what you Bg levels are, your HbA1c, Lipids, Blood Pressure etc etc........there much more to it than that. Everything has to be looked at in a holistic fashion.

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
The diabetic nurse has said that i should get a letter from the hospital with a date for my first check up, I am eagerly awaiting this letter as I would like to know all my scores etc and how I am doing.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
As you are recently diagnosed I will give you my pal Sue and I's basic advice...... might help expalian a few things. One question, are you testing your own Bg levels. If so, how often ?

Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed Diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, Diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy Carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of Insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause Insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting Carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total Carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a Diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the Nurse/Doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own Diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l........(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals....... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Ken / Sue.

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
4 times a day atm, waking up, before lunch, before evening meal and then before bed.

Waking up roughy between 4-7
Before lunch between 2-5
Before evening meal between 5-9
Before bed between 5-9

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Matt.
You really need to also test after meals as per the advice.......see if your Insulin dose is matching what you are eating and keeping below that 'magic' number 9 mmol/l as a T1.

Always remember to try and stay out of the hypo zone, anything below 4 mmol/l.

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
At the moment the diabetic nurse has told me the injection amounts to take, also I am not known I am going into hypo mode which is also a concern. After food if i goes to like 10-14 but when tested again then hours later and between 5-8 is that alright?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I am almost certain that if you mentioned these readings to your Nurse she would probably get you to adjust the dose. When you go low that is most likely down to too much Insulin or too little food.

When you go higher, i.e. spike.....this is usually down to too much food/wrong type of foods which cause the levels to rise.......the peak action of your Insulin then cuts in later and will lower the levels. You have still had a 'spike' which you should try to even out.

Has anyone mentioned a carb counting course such as DAFNE ? That means Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating ? That would be very helpful to you as a T1.

Here is a link to an online course which many T1's find useful.

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Yes weekly I've got to ring the diabetic nurse and tell her my scores in my diary and then she tell's me the doses to take.

When you say "spike" - is this a bad thing? When you say too much food, I've got to eat because im hungry, if i cut my meal down then I'd get even more hungry, which isnt good.

Ive been booked in for a carb counting course in february as this couldnt fit me in in January.

Wb

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Matthew1990 said:
Yes weekly I've got to ring the diabetic nurse and tell her my scores in my diary and then she tell's me the doses to take.

When you say "spike" - is this a bad thing? When you say too much food, I've got to eat because im hungry, if i cut my meal down then I'd get even more hungry, which isnt good.

Ive been booked in for a carb counting course in february as this couldnt fit me in in January.

Wb

Matt.
If you look in my previous post there is a link to an online carb counting course which should help.

As for 'spikes'......they are not good as it means that some of the food you are eating may not be the best for you as a Diabetic. The worst is consistent high levels, however the jury is still out as to whether the 'spikes' are damaging in the long term or not. Inconclusive at the moment.

I take your point about you having to eat because you are hungry, however if your diet is correct then you shouldn't really be feeling hungry in between meals. Some T1's eat the usual 3 meals a day, hardly any snacking.....others graze throughout the day, everybody is different. You have to work out what is best for YOU.

Too much food....too much Insulin ? I know which I would be prepared to cut back on.......get a balance right and you won't always feel hungry, you will be able to lower the Insulin doses, your Bg numbers will be on target, you will feel better and have more energy.

Matt, as we don't seem to be attracting any T1's along here I will move this to the Type 1 area and see if we can drag them into the discussion. I shall also leave a 'shadow topic' in Greetings and Introductions so in effect it is in 2 places at once but will allow answers in only one area.

Catherine_h

Hi Matt

I was diagnosed about 18 month ago with type 1, it was a shock and I found it very very hard to deal with at first (if I'm honest I was terrified) - I still have my moments and I'm still learning but trust me it will get better and life will begin to feel normal again!

Finding this forum helped me lots, I have learnt so so much here, when I was first ill the people here helped me get the correct medical care and quite possibly saved my life!

If I can be of any help at anytime please send me PM.

Take care and ask lots of questions, even if you think its a silly question, sometimes we are not given all the information we need by our medical teams and someone here is always available to help!

Take care

Catherine

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Thanks alot Catherine, this forum is superb!
It is good to know other people who are also type 1 diabetic and like you've said for the first couple months/years it's going to be a learning curve. Times are going to be hard but aslong as I keep my blood sugar levels under good control and gain a good rhythm knowing the foods which are beneficial and the food which aren't they I will be happy.

:)

moonstone

Hi Matt, it took several months for my constant hunger to go away so just go with the flow for now and if you need to eat, eat, as it will pass, and you can also find lots of low-carb or carb-free food that will stave off that hunger eg omelettes, salads. Do as you're doing, it's still extremely early days and right now I think it's best to let the nurses do the thinking while you do the learning, if you know what I mean - check that link Cugila posted, it's amazing stuff and will educate you very well. There's a lot to learn I'm afraid. It's a large puzzle and the pieces will come slowly together. The hunger was part of your clinical presentation with Type 1 so it's nothing to be alarmed about and I promise you, it will go away in the end. I can't remember the name of it but you'll find it out if you google it. By the time I got diagnosed I didn't dare go into a food shop because my hunger/eating was of a truly compulsive nature and I literally couldn't stop, I thought I must either have a savage case of worms(!), or cancer... As I said, it took months to fade away, but fade away it did, and now I'm only hungry when my sugars are low which is obviously completely normal.

It's possible also that you did have clues of impending hypos but weren't aware of them simply because you didn't know about them - the wikipedia page on hypos lists tons of them, I tried to memorise it and it allowed me to spot hypos that I wouldn't otherwise have been aware of; it's not always the main ones that present themselves. I thank God for the internet; how would I have known everything I know if I'd been diagnosed eg 20yrs ago?!

I wish you and all the other newly-diagnosed forum members all the best and I really do know how you all feel. Moonstone.