Hi Newbie joined the forum today

saskacat

Hi All

I've signed up at last have looked on this forum as a guest for some time but never had the courage to sign up but today took the plunge hooray :)
I was diagoised in 2004 as diabetic type 2 and was way off the scale as far as blood readings go they were in the 20s I was not very well and had no idea I was diabetic so went into shock and denial mode.
After alot of trial and error and tears of frustration I have now been diagnoised as type 1 and finally my medication seems to be working Im now on a basal bolis regime and glucopage along with various other medication for other illnesses.
Over the years I've put on 4 stone and this depressed me as I had previously lost weight and no matter how hard I tried I could'nt shift the weight.
In May this year I decided to try a low carb diet as nothing else seemed to work and so far I've managed to lose 25lbs and now my blood sugar readings have come down to under 10 for the first time in 5 yrs I feel great and I'm starting to enjoy life again.
I'm due at the diabetic clinic for a 3monthly reveiw to see how I'm doing and for the first time can't wait as I'm not dreading going any more due to losing some weight and finally getting my blood sugars under control.

Saskacat

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Saska
If they think you are T1, why are they giving you Glucophage( Metformin)?
Do you mean that you are T2 insulin dependent? It's not T1. Glucophage ( metformin)doesn't work on T1. It's an academic question.
It actually dosn't matter much. Because what matters is that your control is working.
I too reduce my carbs. I avoid them as much as possible and have lost over 2 stones. Trouble is I've been stuch for a year at the same weight.
You are obviously getting the hang of everything, because you have made such good progress. Your Healthcare team should be proud of you.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum Saskacat.
Delighted you're having such success with your diet now.
It's a great feeling to have control after feeling it was out of reach for so long!

All the best,

larsson