HI on monitor??

Chartreuse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve noticed a couple times that my monitor sometimes just reads HI when I test my blood sugars (not very often but it’s happened a couple times) and I was wondering if it’s just a glitch or something?? Does it actually mean anything??

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It will mean that your blood sugar is very high, have a look what the max reading is for your monitor.
It means it's higher than that.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A 'HI' reading means the test result is too high for the meter/monitor to read (generally over 32mmol/L).

If you get a result like this but don't feel you have symptoms to match it is worth rechecking after thoroughly washing your hand to ensure the reading wasn't incorrect or contaminated with anything which may have been on your hands.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I’ve noticed a couple times that my monitor sometimes just reads HI when I test my blood sugars (not very often but it’s happened a couple times) and I was wondering if it’s just a glitch or something?? Does it actually mean anything??

Unfortunately, it's not just being friendly.
Check your user manual if you have one available. If not, you can usually find the info on the manufacturers webpage. The threshold for my Glucomen monitor is somewhere around 16 mmol and above this it returns a value of HI.