Hi, Prediabetes Newbie here

Neverik

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm new to this Site. A little about me. I've just be told I'm prediabetes. I'm 40 years old and have been suffering for a while with low energy levels. Also, over the last few months I have been waking up, more mornings than not, so sweaty. It's like I've been in the shower with my PJ's on. On many of these mornings I've also felt pretty Sluggish / exhausted even though I'd just woken up. A good friend of mine who's a Type1 said that I maybe experiencing a type of hypo and urged me to seek immediate medical advice. So thanks to him I now have some idea of whats been going on with me. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Reactions: 4 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. I'm afraid I don't know much about Type 1 but I am a fairly recently diagnosed Type 2 and in my early forties. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in Dec 2014. I had very low energy levels, tiredness and also get very hot. I think I may have actually been bordering on being diabetic at this stage but my GP at this time said I wasn't.

I'm diet controlled but really wished I'd been more proactive at pre-diabetic stage and perhaps I may not have gone on to develop Type 2 - but who knows?? I was "good" for a while and reduced my carbs but then lapsed into bad eating habits. The best advice I can give is to treat yourself as if you ARE diabetic.

It's not just sugar but also carbohydrates that raise blood sugar levels. Stress and illness also raises it but this can be difficult to control and I speak from personal experience. Have a look at the low carb forums on here and maybe invest in a GI diet book. It's the refined processed foods like white bread, rice, pasta etc that aren't good. Also, not all veg is good.

Browse the forums, ask lots of questions - this site is one of the best sources of diabetes education and valuable advice :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 who will post some great information for you to read through. With a few dietary and lifestyle changes you should be able to get yourself sorted. It is essential to get yourself a meter so you can test your blood sugar as it is the only way you will know if you are having a hypo and it will also give you an indication of what foods your body can tolerate. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, we are a helpful bunch :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Neverik

Hello Neverik and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask all the questions you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people

Neverik

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. I'm afraid I don't know much about Type 1 but I am a fairly recently diagnosed Type 2 and in my early forties. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in Dec 2014. I had very low energy levels, tiredness and also get very hot. I think I may have actually been bordering on being diabetic at this stage but my GP at this time said I wasn't.

I'm diet controlled but really wished I'd been more proactive at pre-diabetic stage and perhaps I may not have gone on to develop Type 2 - but who knows?? I was "good" for a while and reduced my carbs but then lapsed into bad eating habits. The best advice I can give is to treat yourself as if you ARE diabetic.

It's not just sugar but also carbohydrates that raise blood sugar levels. Stress and illness also raises it but this can be difficult to control and I speak from personal experience. Have a look at the low carb forums on here and maybe invest in a GI diet book. It's the refined processed foods like white bread, rice, pasta etc that aren't good. Also, not all veg is good.

Browse the forums, ask lots of questions - this site is one of the best sources of diabetes education and valuable advice :)
Hi @tigerlily72 Thank you so much for your advise. I am just starting to read up on low carb diets and how stress can affect your blood sugar levels. I work in the live events industry so stress and working long hours go hand in hand. In the last month or so I've started running at least 5k 3 times a week minimum as I know from before that regular exercise can dissipate the effects of stress. I will take your advice and treat myself like I'm a diabetic. In regards to the low carb diet, I'll look up some suggestions on here but do you have any recipes that you would recommend?:)

Neverik

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 who will post some great information for you to read through. With a few dietary and lifestyle changes you should be able to get yourself sorted. It is essential to get yourself a meter so you can test your blood sugar as it is the only way you will know if you are having a hypo and it will also give you an indication of what foods your body can tolerate. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, we are a helpful bunch :)
Hi @4ratbags Thank you for your advice. I have just ordered a 'code free' meter so I can start keeping a record of what foods effect my blood sugars. Also I'm looking into the Low Carb diet. Will be back I'm sure with more questions :)

Neverik

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Neverik

Hello Neverik and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask all the questions you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Hi @daisy1 Thank you for all this information, I really appreciate it. So much on here that I don't yet understand but you have given me a great start with these articles. Many Thanks:)

Neverik

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I seem to be having quite few hypo's at night. I've woken up every morning so far this week soaked in sweat and feeling like ****! I'm trying to switch to a low carb diet at the mo but following the advice on here and starting at 150g a day and will work my down to 50G over the next month or two. I've just bought a code free meter. Before i went to bed last night it was 7.2 and when I woke it was 5.6. Not low by all accounts, however, I can vaguely recollect reaching for the Lucozade by my bed and taking a swig. I imagine this would bear influence on this mornings reading? Is this something that I need to inform my Doctor/D.Nurse about? or is this quite normal and to be expected. Also is there something else that I can get to monitor this?:)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, welcome. Your lifestyle sounds as if planning your meals in advance would be tricky, but it can be done. Your bedtime & waking readings are fine considering you are only just starting to lower the carbs. I'm not clear why you keep Lucozade as a standby? And your Codefree meter is all you need to track your blood sugar. Does your GP know you're self-testing? Is s/he supportive?
There's a lot to take in from the info daisy1 has given you so see how it applies to you and ask lots more questions. This is not a one-size-fits-all solution, we all decide what suits us.

Neverik

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, welcome. Your lifestyle sounds as if planning your meals in advance would be tricky, but it can be done. Your bedtime & waking readings are fine considering you are only just starting to lower the carbs. I'm not clear why you keep Lucozade as a standby? And your Codefree meter is all you need to track your blood sugar. Does your GP know you're self-testing? Is s/he supportive?
There's a lot to take in from the info daisy1 has given you so see how it applies to you and ask lots more questions. This is not a one-size-fits-all solution, we all decide what suits us.
Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, @daisy1 gave me quite a bit to get my head around but I'm chipping away at all slowly but surely. As of yet my GP doesn't know that I'm self testing, I'm going to mention that on my appointment next week. I hope that she thinks it's a good idea:nailbiting:. In my profession in the live events business, I can work very long hours and more often than not I've resorted to Lucozade when I was starting lag (I Thought due to tiredness). Also, one of my friends who's a type 1 and was responsible for bringing my symptoms to light suggested it as it seemed to have an effect me. I only have a mouthful never drink the whole bottle. I did that once and felt ruined! Would you advice anything different?:)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All I can tell you is I once thought I was getting hypos (before I was diagnosed) but no snack or drink seemed to alleviate them and I believe T2s like me get false hypos, with the symptoms but no drop in BS level. So if I had a sugar drink it presumably sent my BS way up, as it would do now.
Type 1 is a foreign country to me and I never try to compare the two. As a prediabetic I assume you're at risk of T2.
GPs vary in attitude towards self-testing but be prepared for some scepticism.
Once you get the hang of it you will discover lots of things you can carry with you to eat and drink so you won't get caught out.
PS All praise to your T1 friend of course .. thanks to him you went for a diagnosis.

Neverik

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I haven't got my results from my GP. (My fault, have been out of the country on work.) I have switched to the LCHF diet as I was recommended to. I actually feel like I have more energy which is odd as I thought it might be the other way around. However, I still seem to be having quite a few night time hypo's. The one I had last night was pretty bad. I felt so disorientated but I did managed to test my blood on the codefree I was 3.0. Had a gulp of Lucozade, paced around my hotel room for about 10 minutes and then went back to sleep. Took a reading again when I woke up 3hrs later, it was 5.1. Felt pretty rubbish for most of today. Am I going about this in the right way? Is there anything that I can get that will help me monitor this?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My understanding of what you have said Neverik, is you are a T2 prediabetic (it is your friend who is a type 1). I didn't even think T2 prediabetics not on medication COULD get hypos? Or that type 1s could be prediabetic? But you are saying that you might be a type 1.5 or something? And are waiting for your results? (Because yes, that is definitely something that will show up on your blood tests.)

But yes with your symptoms, of course you are worried. Disorientation is no fun for sure. Feeling really physically bad and anxious - ditto. Can you phone your doctor/medical centre as soon as it opens/you can? I'm not surprised you want to know what it happening with you.

But if your doctor suspected the autoimmune component, ie type 2 with auto immunity as well (1.5), you would have been put on insulin asap? No? (I really don't know.) Otherwise they need to hear about your suspected hypos? And yeah - asap.

You could actually call an Accident and Emergency clinic (I'm not sure what time zone you are in) and talk to a nurse, who will advise you on the best action. (If you were my adult child this is what I would advise you to do! To be on the safe side.)

frankie68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm new to this Site. A little about me. I've just be told I'm prediabetes. I'm 40 years old and have been suffering for a while with low energy levels. Also, over the last few months I have been waking up, more mornings than not, so sweaty. It's like I've been in the shower with my PJ's on. On many of these mornings I've also felt pretty Sluggish / exhausted even though I'd just woken up. A good friend of mine who's a Type1 said that I maybe experiencing a type of hypo and urged me to seek immediate medical advice. So thanks to him I now have some idea of whats been going on with me. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.:)
I found out march last im type2 felt exactly as you do, night sweats so bad i would have to change the duvet cover, and that was just one strange thing going on with me. Anyway now i know whats wrong with me, iv lost 4stone, exercise, eat better, i dont eat sugary stuff and i feel much better. Still get tired sometimes , but overall good, maby its the start of a better life since i started exercise my depression is way better.

Reactions: 6 people

Soledad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Frankie68 sounds like you are really taking control of your life and knowing the problem means you at least 50% on reaching your goal. Like you and Neverik, I suffered from bouts of stress and depression. I was told my cold sweats was related to the medication that I was on.

frankie68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Frankie68 sounds like you are really taking control of your life and knowing the problem means you at least 50% on reaching your goal. Like you and Neverik, I suffered from bouts of stress and depression. I was told my cold sweats was related to the medication that I was on.
Soledad, yes thankfully im keeping up my exercise and diet control usually i give up on thing,s far to easilly , yes medication and other factors such as stress alone can cause cold sweats and irregular dreams, when im stressed if i get any sleep at all i dream alot about what i dont know but stress filled im sure. I find walking helps my stress and in turn helps my diabetes, thank you for ur reply and hope ur doing ok.

Soledad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Frankie68, exercise and diet will help and congrats on making this amazing change. I find it's making the initial effort and self belief that we can change but its not a quick fix and takes time. Since changing your focus, do you find that the night time cold sweats have reduced?
I read somewhere that stress can lead to Type 2, but not sure how the two are connected.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I started on the LCHF way of eating I used to get horrible night sweats but since I've started low carbing I've not had a single one. I'm pre diabetic so assumed they were probably due to blood sugar being high ( I do tend to feel hot if my blood sugar is high). Hadn't considered the possibility of them being a result of going low ( a sugar crash) but the low carb diet seems to have solved the problem anyway. Hope it will work for you too.