Type 1 Hi sorry to post again annoying everyone

Nadia19

Hi sorry to post again. I’m wondering, I know a lot of people have seen my threads about illness. So , I’m wondering now how long would the insulin resistance begin to ease after illness. I obviously am taking more insulin that would normally. And still seeing these spikes. I’m just wanting to know how long maybe before this resistance will stop. Thanks and again apologies for posting again I’m just a worrier and don’t like change.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no rhyme or reason. I normally find my insulin requirements return to normal as I start to feel better. But sometimes it might be 2 weeks before things settle down. Also the severity of the illness is not a good indicator of impact on BG. You'll just have to watch your cgm / glucose readings closely and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: Nadia19

Nadia19

There's no rhyme or reason. I normally find my insulin requirements return to normal as I start to feel better. But sometimes it might be 2 weeks before things settle down. Also the severity of the illness is not a good indicator of impact on BG. You'll just have to watch your cgm / glucose readings closely and adjust accordingly.

Would you say the resistance returns to normal? I’ve been on the fence for days with this trying not to stress too much now. Thank you for your reply x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you say the resistance returns to normal? I’ve been on the fence for days with this trying not to stress too much now. Thank you for your reply x
Hi Nadia I am T2 and don’t use insulin so can’t offer any technical advice BUT I just wanted to send you a big virtual hug for the nasty infection needing antibiotics and causing worry about your bg control. Hopefully the antibs will do their job and you will start to feel better very soon. if not get back to the GP. Wishing you all the best.

Nadia19

Hi Nadia I am T2 and don’t use insulin so can’t offer any technical advice BUT I just wanted to send you a big virtual hug for the nasty infection needing antibiotics and causing worry about your bg control. Hopefully the antibs will do their job and you will start to feel better very soon. if not get back to the GP. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks so much I’m
Hoping things settle over the weekend

Nadia19

Thank you I felt a bit intimidated when people were saying I’ve to calm down etc. I’ve only had diabetes 5 years come October so I’m still learning everything myself

Thank you everyone for patience with my posts x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you I felt a bit intimidated when people were saying I’ve to calm down etc. I’ve only had diabetes 5 years come October so I’m still learning everything myself
Sorry if the forum made you feel intimidated. We are here to help each other. If no one asked questions, there wouldn't be much point in having a forum.
As for still learning after 5 years, I am still learning after 20 years. One thing I still really have to get my head around is how different we all are and how much those differences affect our diabetes.
For example, we get different infections and heal at different speeds. So my ear infections (sorry you are suffering from that on top of the diabetes) could clear up in a couple of days with my diabetes back to "normal" (for me .. there is no such thing as "normal") whereas someone else may have a stronger infection that could take a week to get rid of the main symptoms but theri body could continue fighting the "residual bugs" for a couple more weeks.
I know this is not the answer you want.
My best advice would be to take the insulin your body needs when it needs it and don't compare with anyone else or what is your "normal". The right amount of insulin you need is the amount you need at that time to keep your levels in range most of the time. If that means you are taking twice as much as usual, that is as much as you need.

Take care ... and feel free to ask more or just chat or rant. That is what the forum is for.

Reactions: Nadia19 and ert

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You have had diabetes longer than I have but I have never felt I had 'normal' blood sugars. I see a lot of variability in my numbers so I just dose for what I need. I have given up trying to find the cause and just know that some weeks I need more insulin than others.

Paule Foster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Please don’t feel like that- I just wanted to say thank you for your post. I was only diagnosed 2 months ago & had no idea illness’s effect your BG so much, so it’s something very useful I’ve learned from your post & can be aware of next time I get ill.

Nadia19

Please don’t feel like that- I just wanted to say thank you for your post. I was only diagnosed 2 months ago & had no idea illness’s effect your BG so much, so it’s something very useful I’ve learned from your post & can be aware of next time I get ill.

I’ve just uploaded a new thread to show the difference illness makes! Please look. Be aware of this I’m very anxious and I never experienced resistance quite like it. Thanks for reading xx

• Friendly
  • Hug
Reactions: JAT1 and Hopeful34