Hi there

jbatista

Hi I have found this forum accidentally via google...having had a nosey round before finally registering..
I am 49 years old and was diagnosed type 2 5 years ago (sugars at the time were 29)....I have been on Byetta 5mg for almost 2 years along with 1000mg Glucophage...my blood sugars are never any lower than 12/13..and in the last 2/3 years have infact slowly been creeping upwards...
I was told at the last visit in Nov to see my consultant that if no differences were seen then they may have to look at introducing a small dose of insulin :|

I look forward to been able to receive and also give advice and support to others in this wonderful place...

Regards

John

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello John and welcome. :D

Do you test to see what your foods are doing to your BG levels and what is a typical diet? What did you eat today for example?

If you give the information there will be someone along with advice fairly quickly. :D

jbatista

Hi today I have eaten a large bowl of porridge for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch on wholemeal bread and this evening I have had boiled skate, bolied potatoes and asparagus....
This is almost typical every day...sometimes I have a banana after lunch or a mullerlite yoghourt...
Breakfast is always porridge though...Evening is red meat, or chicken or fish and oven chips are x2 a week

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
John,

Do you self test at all? I suspect either you are not testing or you are sticking to the NHS guidelines of eating plenty of starchy carbohydrates since you not only eat porridge but you have a LARGE bowl! :shock: You also say that typically you have a sandwich for lunch which may or may not be ok depending on what you choose as the bread.

Many of us have found that reducing our carbohydrate intake helps us to get our BG levels down and this may be so in your case but you will only know by self testing. If you test before you eat and then two hours afterwards you will see how the food affects you. You may like to get yourself a Collins Gem Carb counter which gives carb values for a broad range of foods and this may well be an eye opener to you.

Personally I have needed to be really radical and have had to remove all wheat products like bread, pasta and couscous also rice, oats and potatoes (which includes chips!). I don’t miss them and BG levels are so much better. :D

Having blood sugars no lower than 12/13 is really not good for you and you too may need to take a radically different approach to what you eat.

Hopefully there will be others with more experience along shortly who will pass on their advice.

Lizz

Hi, I have been on Byetta for 9 months now and was lucky to have no side effects and have been able to stop the glicazide that was making the weight difficult to shift.
The info given to me was that a reading of between 7 - 10 two hours after eating was the aim - what none of the professionals mentioned is that if I choose the right food it can stay at more or less the pre meal level of 4 - 7. I too have porridge - I like the Flavahans from Asda which has a handy scoop. With this , the level goes up to 8 -9 so not too bad and keeps me going to lunchtime but a slice of toast and peanut butter and the level stays at the pre meal level of 6.4. If I know I have a busy morning ahead I now go with the porridge and have the toast on lazy days. :eek: