hi there

blessing4

hi there
my 7 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in november last year
still in honeymoon period has been back in hospital 3 times with high levels but once out needs almost no insulin
they think maybe mody if anyone has heard of that?
i am now concerned maybe my 2.5 year old might also be diabetic as drinking alot and bm level of 20.3 but then 5 mins later was 8.7? this was about 2 hours after a slice of toast
looking forward to making friends, talking to other parents of type 1 diabetic children and advise
(i also had gestational diabetes during my 4th pregnancy which wasnt being controlled by metformin and if i hadnt been induced i would have gone onto insulin)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi there and welcome.

It must be very hard to control levels with such an extended honeymoon. My son did not have a honeymoon and has had steadily increasing amounts of insulin as he has grown. I suppose you have to wait and see if eventually he stops producing his own insulin.

I don't think even a non diabetic could go from 20.3 to 8.7 in 5 mins so maybe the finger wasn't quite clean enough when you did the first test. You'd have to do a few over a period of time to see what was happening. They can do a blood test to look for diabetes in your 2.5yr old if you have concerns.

blessing4

hi there
thankyou for your kind welcome
i did another test on the little one in the night and it was 9.1 so i dont know if that is okay for a 2.5yr old
my gp has said they will do a urine test but i wonder if this is only just starting would keytones show yet if only in the 9's?

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
http://www.diabetesgenes.org/

Here is an interesting article about the different types of diabetes.

I think I might be a little concerned seeing 9's in a 2.5yr old. I've tested my non-D child a bit and he's more often in the 5,s than anything else. Saying that, it might depend on what/when he had eaten. There is actually very little research on non-diabetic blood sugar levels. I know mine doesn't go over 8 unless i've eaten hotcakes/syrup at the golden arches and it is usually in the 4-6 range.

Reading about MODY it would seem likely that other children could develop the condition if this is the case for your son. Have you looked into your family history. Maybe your GD was actually a weird part of the genetic condition.