Hi to all,

Colourfull500

Hi to all,

I need to loose weight in time for June as I need to have a total hysterectomy in June as I have cysts and really heavy periods my blood sugars are high and are not going down I see the diabetes community nurse on 1st of May dont know what she's going to say.
I lost 2 kg last year but put it back on through emotional health problems and hubby being bossy ect.

So I dont know how I am going to get through the operation as well as the above its freaking me out.
Anyone else been in this position.

Colourfull500.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before we can offer suggestions we need to know more about you. What sort of diabetes? How is it controlled? What medications? What sort of numbers do you have? What sort of food do you eat? Do you need to lose weight? Gain weight? Have you had advice about what needs to be achieved before surgery is possible?

Colourfull500

Before we can offer suggestions we need to know more about you. What sort of diabetes? How is it controlled? What medications? What sort of numbers do you have? What sort of food do you eat? Do you need to lose weight? Gain weight? Have you had advice about what needs to be achieved before surgery is possible?
My blood sugars range from 13.0 to 21.6
I am trying to lower them not eating sugar foods ect I just think stress is part of this and not doing much exercise I cannot cope with being in this situation as I have lots of health problems ect which makes things s lot harder.I am a type 2 diabetic since 2005

Colourfull500

My blood sugars range from 13.0 to 21.6
I am trying to lower them not eating sugar foods ect I just think stress is part of this and not doing much exercise I cannot cope with being in this situation as I have lots of health problems ect which makes things s lot harder.I am a type 2 diabetic since 2005
Really hard to control metformin give me diorhhea.
Forxgia tabs once a day are not doing much...

Colourfull500.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just avoiding sugary food isn’t really enough. You need to be limiting the carbs. All of them. Rice pasta potato bread flour grains cereals etc. It will help with your rather high numbers and in turn with your weight. Because of your forxgia you need to monitor the levels closely as you reduce carbs. If your blood levels are much lower due to eating fewer carbs then it may be the medication works “too well” and will need adjusting down to avoid hypos. It sounds daunting to start with but you don’t have to jump in with both feet, you can dip a few toes at a time. Many people report it to meg much easier than they expected. I’ll add some links at the end of this post for you to look through to get a better idea of it..

And you’re right stress will not help with raised levels and in turn that makes weight gain more likely. Can you get any support with the emotional health issues, have you asked your dr or got friends to turn to?

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and ideally do this with your dr. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Colourfull500

Just avoiding sugary food isn’t really enough. You need to be limiting the carbs. All of them. Rice pasta potato bread flour grains cereals etc. It will help with your rather high numbers and in turn with your weight. Because of your forxgia you need to monitor the levels closely as you reduce carbs. If your blood levels are much lower due to eating fewer carbs then it may be the medication works “too well” and will need adjusting down to avoid hypos. It sounds daunting to start with but you don’t have to jump in with both feet, you can dip a few toes at a time. Many people report it to meg much easier than they expected. I’ll add some links at the end of this post for you to look through to get a better idea of it..

And you’re right stress will not help with raised levels and in turn that makes weight gain more likely. Can you get any support with the emotional health issues, have you asked your dr or got friends to turn to?

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and ideally do this with your dr. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.
Hi HSSS,

Thankyou for the info will look it all up and see what I can do hopefully will loose more weight.

Many Thanks
Colourfull500.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago I had investigations after very heavy bleeding - I was on yet another high carb low fat diet as directed by my GP. I was putting on weight too, so I went back to low carb and the problems stopped in weeks. The weight was not so easy to get rid of though - I had to exercise to see significant losses, which was rather surprising.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago I had investigations after very heavy bleeding - I was on yet another high carb low fat diet as directed by my GP. I was putting on weight too, so I went back to low carb and the problems stopped in weeks. The weight was not so easy to get rid of though - I had to exercise to see significant losses, which was rather surprising.
Low carb hasn’t made any difference to my heavy bleeding sadly. Adenmyosis (sp?). It’s put up or hysterectomy for me too. I’ve had too many surgeries the last few years (5 in 18 months) so I’m toughing it out hoping menopause finishes up with me soon.