hi! youngish diabetic type one since april fools 08

hannurlouisex

Dislikes
when my sugar goes high and being a pin cushion!!
hi my names hannah-louise and im 19.
ive been diabetic since 2008 on april fools ironically!
i was 18 when diagnosed and it has been quite a hard run so far.

docs reckon ive had diabetes since i was 15 and i had my suspicions around 17 years old but was scared i suppose. but eventually 6 months in to being 17 i went to the docs and told them my symtoms and they brushed it off. then in feb 08 i went to my doc told him i was drinking around 9-11 litres a day, going to the toilet loads blurry eyesight etc he looked alarmed thinking i was an alcoholic at first but when i told him i wasnt and i dont drink he was happy, he weighed me and noticed id lost a bit of weight and referred me an anorexic clinic. i declined and was sent away again.
Then on march 31st i put it upon myself to just get tested in tesco pharmacy and my sugar kept coming up HI 4 times. they referred me to hospital which took a few hours and then they told me i was diabetic type one. i found out my sugar was actually 78.1 mmol which is fairly high!!

ive had a few complications, nothing too bad. ive had 6 laser operations.
3 cataract operations. (one they botched up) after 3 months of diagnosis i developed annorexia which made things worse as i got ketones which even if i wanted to eat i physically couldnt.
i then had neuropathy which felt like walking on glass when you have pins and needles!! and no treatment would work until i found amitryptline.

but since all this ive had goodish hba1cs my last one was 5-1, ive lost alot of friends over diabetes which is sad but ive met my boyfriend who is diabetic, his hba1c at its worst was around 16 but ive slowly introduced him to carb-counting and its shot right down, he has had it since he was 6 so i just hope he doesnt have any complications later on.

sorry if this is long!!!
i wanna meet some people, listen to stories and share mine, im also trying my hardest to motivate myself to do my injections sooner as i put them off at the moment.

hannur

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Hannah and welcome, I'm a T2 so not much help :| hopefully your post will be answered soon by other T1s.

Regards
Graham

howie

sounds a bit familiar. i'm 22, i went to the docs last feb suggesting something was wrong. my toungue was a weird colour and just felt wrong. i thought i'd got thrush from my girlfriend, the docs said nah nothing wrong. went back to docs in april with db symptoms thirst & thrush. doc said i was too old for T1 and too healthy/fit for T2. he said i could do a blood test for reassurance but it was up to me. so i trusted him and left it, soon after i was up to 10 litres of water a day and so went and got the test. i then received a letter to make a ROUTINE appointment to see my GP. they did another test and bang i ended up in hospital for the whole weekend being told i was T1. GP's are pretty useless, i'd rather see my endo any day.

hope the anorexia is under control, i always inject before food. it's slow enough acting as it is so if anything i do it 10mins before i eat.

howie

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Hannah-Louise,
Type 1 here. Yours and Howies' stories really reinforce why places like this are so important. Too many GP's simply don't seem to understand diabetes sufficiently well and the result is often missed diagnoses and poor advice. When a doctor keeps missing the obvious signs and you need Tesco to diagnose you, we have a problem in this country! :shock:
You've done really well to get your HbA1c down to that level after a such a tough start. I don't think I've ever heard of a blood glucose as high as yours at diagnosis, your sample must have been more like strawberry jam than blood!
Keep us posted, and all the best,

fergus