Hi

sue3098

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
A question about RH.. When you have a 'spike' in Bg what does it go up to?
I'm doing well on my low carb/no carb diet, losing weight and not having drastic ups and downs, I'm learning the triggers, just wondered what a ' high spike' is for people?
Best wishes

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The one thing you learn is we are all different and what my typical spike would be if I wasn't low carbing is different from yours!
Also, how long after eating, will you spike is different as well.

However, on my first glucose test, I did top 13mmols within half an hour.
But I was regularly going up to eleven after food, through my testing and experimental period.

I don't like going over 6mmols, as I can feel it and I don't want to.
However others can go over 6 and be happy with living like that.

I'm glad you are sorting what works and getting good control.
Do you have any issues with certain foods?
Do you feel better and have better energy levels?

Nice to hear from you.
Best wishes.

Nosher.

Reactions: 4 people

sue3098

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi nosher
Nice to hear from you. Hope you are well.
My energy levels are so much better, I know when I've eaten what I shouldn't have.
I have cut out normal 'spuds' and replaced with sweet potatoes.
The day I wrote the above, I spiked at 9, after 1/2 hour I only checked my sugars as I instantly felt so tired and struggled to keep awake. I'm ok at about 7, after that I feel uncomfortable If that happens I counter act it.
I also do a bit of activity to get it down. Also following the low/no carbs I've lost 11lbs which is fab! So I'm back to my original weight.
I do sometimes feel like I'm about to dip and am surprised to see my bm as 'normal' expecting a '2.4'
My average/normal is still quite low at 3.4 to 3.9. I function quite well at this reading..
I'm having less and less 'Hypo's', my daily hypo's are no more!
Best wishes
Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Sue,
I think you may find that even the lower GI carbs will affect your blood glucose levels. Even sweet potatoes may be the cause of your spike.
Of course the only way you know is testing how much of each food you can tolerate.
I try to avoid all spikes as I know, I'm healthier avoiding them.
Glad you have broke the cycle of hypos, and you feel much better.
Maybe you could lose a little more weight, cos, that will also help being healthier.
The less body fat, the more energy you will have.
The energy levels give you a clue why you feel s### after food.
No carbs, better energy!
As I will always advise, avoid the spikes and you avoid the hypos.
Avoid the carbs, avoid the spikes and hypos.

Once you have better control, you could try fasting, as I've found this to be a lot helpful on the not so good days, just to give my system a rest and adjust.

Are you sleeping better?
Do you feel more like yourself again.

Best wishes.
Hi nosher
Nice to hear from you. Hope you are well.
My energy levels are so much better, I know when I've eaten what I shouldn't have.
I have cut out normal 'spuds' and replaced with sweet potatoes.
The day I wrote the above, I spiked at 9, after 1/2 hour I only checked my sugars as I instantly felt so tired and struggled to keep awake. I'm ok at about 7, after that I feel uncomfortable If that happens I counter act it.
I also do a bit of activity to get it down. Also following the low/no carbs I've lost 11lbs which is fab! So I'm back to my original weight.
I do sometimes feel like I'm about to dip and am surprised to see my bm as 'normal' expecting a '2.4'
My average/normal is still quite low at 3.4 to 3.9. I function quite well at this reading..
I'm having less and less 'Hypo's', my daily hypo's are no more!
Best wishes
Sue

Reactions: 2 people