Hi

Kingj8

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I posted quite some time back when my GP thought I may have type 2 due to Hba1c reading of 48 and after exchanging messages on here I felt I may actually have RH.
I have finally been to see the endocrinologist today and we discussed my symptoms and she thinks I do have RH and possibly type 2 diabetes as well.
She is organising a dietician and wants me to use a monitor that stays on my arm for two weeks so she can see my sugar levels. She is also going to organise a meal challenge test and wants me to start a medication called apasgan? Not sure if that is how your spell it!

Does anybody have any experience of these tests/ medication?

Glad to have an answer but also worried about the massive changes I am going to need to make in my life!

Thanks for reading

Jennie x

Reactions: kokhongw

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again! :)

I uspect that the 2 week monitor on your arm will be a Freestyle Libre.
It is a fab tool for RHers.
I use one regularly.
Have a google and you can read all about how it works.

Can’t comment on the medication though. Not heard of it before. If you can work out how it is spelled, you could look that up online too. It is amazing what you can find out about medications, from the way they work to contraindications and all sorts.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I posted quite some time back when my GP thought I may have type 2 due to Hba1c reading of 48 and after exchanging messages on here I felt I may actually have RH.
I have finally been to see the endocrinologist today and we discussed my symptoms and she thinks I do have RH and possibly type 2 diabetes as well.
She is organising a dietician and wants me to use a monitor that stays on my arm for two weeks so she can see my sugar levels. She is also going to organise a meal challenge test and wants me to start a medication called apasgan? Not sure if that is how your spell it!

Does anybody have any experience of these tests/ medication?

Glad to have an answer but also worried about the massive changes I am going to need to make in my life!

Thanks for reading

Jennie x

Hi Jennie,
Could the meds be acerbose?
If so, the meds are supposed to slow digestion down to offset the spike because you probably have a weak first insulin response.
It will not stop the hypos. Even slowing down digestion will still trigger the overshoot of insulin that occurs when you eat food that you are intolerant to, more than likely carbs, sugar, starchy vegetables.
The meal test is to see how intolerant you are to certain foods, it was called a breakfast test that I had. It was a carb laden breakfast. I spiked and then they finished the test before I went hypo. But the spike was quick and high, from normal levels.
Having T2 as well as RH, can be a bit tricky, you may have to snack very low carb, to avoid spikes and hypos. The recommended advice is every two to three hours, a low carb small meal. Once you have control, you can alter to suit you.
If you can lower your hba1c by dietary means, this could have a dual effect on your health by reducing your insulin resistance and your high glucose levels.
By reducing your insulin response, the overshoot, this will help with excess insulin turning to visceral fat.
The good news is you can control the both conditions by diet and improve your health.
By the way, I was misdiagnosed as T2, before my true diagnosis. My blood glucose levels were very high when first misdiagnosed. It wasn't until I found that I was waking up in normal levels, but quickly went hyper because of the porridge I was eating every breakfast!
I hope you have a glucometer and keeping a food diary, because this will help with your visit to the doctor.
If you do think you do have RH, an eOGTT, is a great diagnostic test, it lasts for about five hours and shows your spike and then tracks your hypo.
But until you have the tests, we are guessing what is happening.