Hi

Hi, I am Lorretta and while I had a routine blood test for Hypothyroidism, my blood sugar levels flagged up that I'm in the Pre-Diabetes category. I was wondering if anyone else is in this category, what foods they are eating/not eating, how much exercise and what types of exercise you do. I'm also Mum to 4 Girls and the youngest has her own health needs so most of my time is spent focusing on her. Any advice greatly appreciated.xx

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am Lorretta and while I had a routine blood test for Hypothyroidism, my blood sugar levels flagged up that I'm in the Pre-Diabetes category. I was wondering if anyone else is in this category, what foods they are eating/not eating, how much exercise and what types of exercise you do. I'm also Mum to 4 Girls and the youngest has her own health needs so most of my time is spent focusing on her. Any advice greatly appreciated.xx
Lucky you! Most of us were never told we were prediabetic. (And yes, we do have others like you here). Seriously, this is a good thing, as you can avoid going through the issues and complications a full blown diabetic has to cope with upon diagnosis, with damage done. Hold on to that; you're catching it early and taking the bull by the horns! As for what to eat; https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should help. And when it comes to moving about, walks are good. Strenuous activity can cause liver dumps, which means the liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream to give you energy... But a good walk after dinner for instance, will usually lower blood sugars.

I know it's hard to take care of yourself when there's people depending on you as well, but keep in mind... On a plane you have to put your own oxygen mask on first for a reason. You have to take care of yourself, for yourself, and for others.

You'll be okay.
Jo

Buzzer81

Hi, I got told I was prediabetic..... i stuck my head in the sand and assumed it’d be fine and I’d sort it at some point.... big mistake. Within a year I was dangerously in the diabetic zone. Only then did I make the changes I needed to..... damage has been done though and I wish I could go back and make the changes to my lifestyle I needed too earlier. I can’t but you can. Use this forum for the advice you need. Cut down carbs as much as you can. But a metre to read you blood sugar levels and check what food triggers you then avoid them.

Good luck

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

IKt is great that you were told when you were pre diabetic hopefully that means the pathway back to normal range will be much easier. I can't give better advice than the link posted by @JoKalsbeek

Welcome- ask questions, read around and hopefully your next readings will be in the normal range which may surprise your doctor.

Good luck and welcome.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome. Not a pre D or type 2 but I am a mum of 3 so just wanted to say please give yourself some focus here. It doesn't have to take a lot of time e.g. changing 1 bad eating habit if you are a carb addict and adding in time alone even if it is just a 10 minute power walk or a cup of coffee drank alone with a mag or yoga/pilates or whatever helps you chill.
Its a also a great example for your girls to see their mum looking after herself.