Hi

yarislady

My names Jo I’m from North East England I’ve been diabetic for 47 years, only seen diabetes nurse at gp practice for years as hospital scared the life out of me! I ain’t been there for about 25 years and scared because I’m going back this month!

Bms aren’t very well controlled, heard things about monitors etc, but I’m so scared, feel like a child waiting to be told off?!

I’ve Neva really done regular tests, listened to my body instead but I know I should.
Writing them down is a pain for me too. Just too regimental for me.

I’ve also been disabled for just over 20 years and have so many other things regarding that to mention. I’m on loads of meds so probably put my diabetes to the back of my mind a little.
I can’t exercise much due to this either, suffer with anxiety and depression at times.

Do I just waffle when I go to hospital or tell the truth?!

So sorry for the long intro but thanks for reading in advance

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @yarislady from a T1 of 52 years.

A lot of your post reminds me of myself in earlier years (I could never be bothered to record my readings and just used to hope that my hba1c wouldn't be too bad).

I'd recommend being honest with your team and jump on the new technology that is now available to all T1s in the UK. I first started using a cgm 5 years ago and though they don't replace glucometers they feel almost as life changing to me as my first glucometer did 40 years ago.

Good luck for your appointment and once more, welcome.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34