1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hiatus hernia

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Anniemona, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Anniemona

Anniemona · Newbie

Hi there. Am really desperately looking for advice. My mum ( diabetes suffered for 60 years) was diagnosed as having a hiatus hernia last year. She has experienced a lot of discomfort since which doesn’t seem to be easing. She had camera put down last November which leg to diagnosis. This week however they have put the camera down again and say they have found an obstruction. They have take biopsies to send away. Can this be linked to the hernia?
    It’s also taking a while for her to absorb sugar lately when her blood is dropping. Could this be Linked too? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can't advise on hernias but erratic or raised glucose levels can be caused by illness.

3. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Hiatus hernia can form because of many causes. I would advise you to ask your GP, what is going on and what can be done to stop the inflammation that is causing the obstruction, for me, I was told to eat and drink certain foods that would not irritate the hernia.
    I was also diagnosed with Heliocobacter Pylori in my stomach. It could be both of these that is causing so many symptoms and problems.
    Does it feel as though it could have been an ulcer?

If it is, antibiotics are beneficial for the treatment of both, but again your doctor will help you.
    But, I will always say, if you are having digestive problems then eating lower carb meals will always help especially with blood glucose levels.

Best wishes

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook