Hickman Line

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am having a Hickman Line put in tomorrow so I can have Chemotherapy directly into the line . Should I mention to them that I have been told I am prediabetic or not mention it? I wouldn't have thought they need to be aware but I wanted to make sure .

C

catherinecherub

I have no knowledge of this procedure but personally I would tell them. It may or may not be relevant but at least they will know.

I am so sad to read your posts concerning your cancer and wish you well @Soo2. Sending you (((((hugs))))) and positive vibes.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am having a Hickman Line put in tomorrow so I can have Chemotherapy directly into the line . Should I mention to them that I have been told I am prediabetic or not mention it? I wouldn't have thought they need to be aware but I wanted to make sure .

No harm in mentioning it. Presumably you have to complete some sort of consent form, which may ask for some health details. You could put it on there. Good luck with the procedure. (I didn't have one of these, I had a portacath inserted under the skin on my chest.)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I would definitely mention it.

Ongoing it will help if they know that you know (if u know what I mean).

You will have a lot of ongoin g blood tests to see how the chemo is affecting you so to me, it is vital that they know that you are already aware.. and they too will have a baseline of your levels as a starting point as well...

Good luck. No envy!! I'm having 2nd mastectomy in April but this is a risk reducing one... so thankfully just straight forward slicing and dicing, no freezing or frying treatment!! (Chemo/rads).

Good luck.... thinking of you.

Are you aware that you may need nausea drugs?

Being prediabetic, you may want to always ask now if any medication may lead to diabetes being inevitable??

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_0362.JPG

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a Hickman Line . It goes into the chest and so the Chemotherapy is pumped around the blood straight away from the aorta. I have breast cancer but it as spread and my oncologist thought this was the way to go with the Hickman Line.

I will mention my prediabetes to them . Thank you x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Love and best wishes to you... xx

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Thank you all for the lovely messages . I have my Hickman Line in and up to now it feels ok. I have had a line flush each day to keep the line patent.
While I was in hospital I had a few hypoglycaemic events . I hated it . The staff sorted me out and checked blood glucose levels which was 3.4 and I have been they have contacted my gp and made aware of what has been happening.
Other than a mad headache I feel ok

Soo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The best of luck with your chemo treatment, and good news the hospital are keeping your doctor updated about your blood glucose issues. Let us know how you go on.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Glad hospital have been looking after you well keeping the hickman line "clear" and that they are also letting gp know hypo levels is good too.

I so hope everything else continues to go smoothly for you..xx

Reactions: Soo2