High Bg After Having Baby

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies, not sure if this is related at all but was just wondering after experiencing lots of lows in the weeks after having your babies did bgs then kind of go back to normal & at what point?

I still get a couple of lows through the day some days but I'm struggling massively with evening/through the night, bg is often around 13. I have basal tested & been constantly increasing but even going from 1.05u ph to currently 1.70u ph bg is just sticking at 13 every single night!! Spoke to DSN and she didn't quite understand why it was happening so just wondered if any of you have experienced this. As I said I know this could be totally unrelated to having a baby X

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Hun mine normally go up high in the morning-I think its stress with my 3. Then go down low.
Do you give yourself a correction dose when you are 13? Have you got time splits on your basal through the night. I need more from midnight as suffer with dawn phenomenon. My daughters basal is split by the hour it makes it easier to adjust then x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mrsass Very early on I got some highs after very disturbed nights. But in general my BS was ok and back to normal. I've put my basals on another thread here (the breastfeeding one) to show how they went down after initially being set at pre-pregnancy levels immediately after delivery.

Apart from the obvious things like dodgy insulin or poor sites, my guess would be stress or perhaps if you're still heavier than your pre-pregnancy weight (no problem if you are - I believe in the saying '9 months to get that way, 9 months to get back). Even if you don't feel at all stressed, just the extra physical stress on your body of disturbed nights and tiredness can cause highs.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mrsass Very early on I got some highs after very disturbed nights. But in general my BS was ok and back to normal. I've put my basals on another thread here (the breastfeeding one) to show how they went down after initially being set at pre-pregnancy levels immediately after delivery.

Apart from the obvious things like dodgy insulin or poor sites, my guess would be stress or perhaps if you're still heavier than your pre-pregnancy weight (no problem if you are - I believe in the saying '9 months to get that way, 9 months to get back). Even if you don't feel at all stressed, just the extra physical stress on your body of disturbed nights and tiredness can cause highs.
(Big sigh from me) @azure i wish it was 9 months off for me. Unfortunately I've been left with a big stomach after 2 sections, twins and years of injections. Need to find time to burn it off (just not sure when!). Sorry to hijack post x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for replies @1Sarah1 @azure yep I give corrections when I get the higher readings, have different rates at 7pm 11pm 2am 6am have increased them all.
Most of my nights are disturbed as she is not great at the sleeping lol so that could maybe be playing a part. I am a little stressed at the moment but thought this would affect bg over all but perhaps not?
I'm pretty much back at my pre preg weight - although I totally don't feel it lol
I'm trying to think how far back this started as its been a few weeks now and if it's the same batch of insulin I've been using. Picking up prescription of new insulin tomorrow so will change as soon as I get that and see if it makes a difference :)

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
(Big sigh from me) @azure i wish it was 9 months off for me. Unfortunately I've been left with a big stomach after 2 sections, twins and years of injections. Need to find time to burn it off (just not sure when!). Sorry to hijack post x

@1Sarah1 You're doing an amazing job caring for your twins and your recently diagnosed daughter :) Whenever I get tired, I think of how hard you must be working. I mean that :)

Don't beat yourself up about your tummy. Pregnancy leaves marks on us all :) I have an exercise book for tummies that I bought while I was pregnant and I have hardly opened it : D The baby and toddler years pass oh so quickly so it's right that we enjoy every moment and leave the boring stuff till later :)

jade88

Hi Mrsass as soon as I stopped breastfeeding my bloods sky rocketed! It's a big adjustment going back to pre pregnancy ratios etc so takes a while to settle down! I think I was also over cautious with how much I took when I was on my own as was terrified of having a hypo when I was on my own with the baby! In the end I had to increase my background insulin as was constantly getting high readings! Only just starting to settle down now and little man is nearly 8 months old! xxx

Reactions: 2 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I'm still breastfeeding and I've had this problem at different points. I figure it's probably just the fluctuating levels of hormones and my body adjusting to them. Keep testing and adjust basal and carb ratio until you hit on the correct one. I'm worse about sorting out the night as I am nervous about going low over night. If you can get a cgm it's really helpful for pin pointing your bad times. Also waking up does all sorts of funny things to your bg so expect that to further complicate matters.

Well done on being back at your weight. I found this time that pilates has helped a bit in terms of shape but I've no idea where I am in terms of weight. I just care how my clothes look on me (I was back in them a week later this time but then the weight went on with breast feeding :().

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure it must just be hormones @tigger Breastfeeding burns up loads of calories :)

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
@azure not with me sadly. I seem to put on weight when I feed and only lose it once I stop and can stop eating as much.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@tigger Then maybe your body just works in a different way :) I'm sure it knows what it's doing, and that's just the way it works for you :)

The important thing is that you're doing an amazing job feeding your baby :cool: