Type 1 High BG - Headache ?

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
Hello lads and gents, I was wondering how high and for how long BG has to be to get headache?

D

Deleted Account

This varies hugely dependent on many things such as how high your BG is typically and your personal pain threshold.
It is also confused by illness and stress causing BG to rise. So the headache maybe the cause of the high BG rather than the other way round.
As always, if your BG is high, it should be corrected, if your headache is bad, it should be treated and, throughout the headache, corrections, etc, you should test your BG to ensure it is coming down (and there is not something else wrong such as damaged pen/pump) or you are not going too low.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you talking about a headache in your 6mth old type 1 son? How does a 6mth old report a headache (obviously I'm not terribly maternal, but is it not just undefined crying, which could in reality be caused by anything. I've never heard someone talking about a cranky crying baby saying they must have a headache)?

Or are you concerned about headaches in someone else/you and along with your sons recent diagnosis attributing everything to blood sugars so concerned a headache could be a symptom of diabetes? They aren't, although vision changes, which can cause headaches, are.

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
The thing is my son is 6 MO and sometimes after the meal BG rises rapidly to 250-300 and then stays like that 30 Minutes - 1 Hr (sometimes longer) and then drops toward 200-220 (then we do correction and becomes ok shortly after). But sometimes we notice different behavior, he cries or seems nervous, red skin on cheeks/eyebrows.. we think it is due to the high BG. We do not know his pain level nor how he feels. But is there any general rule on how long should BG be high to get any kind of headache? His Hba1c was 6.7% last week.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The thing is my son is 6 MO and sometimes after the meal BG rises rapidly to 250-300 and then stays like that 30 Minutes - 1 Hr (sometimes longer) and then drops toward 200-220 (then we do correction and becomes ok shortly after). But sometimes we notice different behavior, he cries or seems nervous, red skin on cheeks/eyebrows.. we think it is due to the high BG.

I know at those levels (250-300 (13-16ish in the uk)) I don't get headache, at the higher levels I do get an irritating thirst though.