High BG levels, medication not working

gaz1971

Hi all. I have been telling my doctors for over a year now that my medication, Metformin and Gliclazide, have no effect on my BG levels. My BG levels are 15+ at all times and nothing lowers it. I have been referred to different doctors, all with the intention of getting me on insulin but none of them prescribes it, instead they make excuses and repeat the same old tests all the time, while I am left with basically untreated type 2. Has anyone got any ideas?

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @gaz1971, sorry to hear you are having these problems. Two things spring to my mind, one is have you changed your diet at all to try to help your levels reduce and secondly have you been tested for Type one, although if this has been going on for a year, the onset will have been gradual, so maybe LADA?

gaz1971

Hi @gaz1971, sorry to hear you are having these problems. Two things spring to my mind, one is have you changed your diet at all to try to help your levels reduce and secondly have you been tested for Type one, although if this has been going on for a year, the onset will have been gradual, so maybe LADA?
It makes no difference what I eat, I have even gone 3 days now without food and my BG this morning was 20.8. They want me to have a blood test to see how much insulin I produce but I am unable to get to the local hospital and their attitude is oh well, whenever you can get there and get it done, and in the meantime I am left with high BG.

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What’s stopping you getting to the hospital for the tests? It sounds like it’s important to you to get to the bottom of this and it is important for your future health, I’m sure whatever is the barrier isn’t insurmountable.

gaz1971

What’s stopping you getting to the hospital for the tests? It sounds like it’s important to you to get to the bottom of this and it is important for your future health, I’m sure whatever is the barrier isn’t insurmountable.
Quirky location of the hospital, I can only get there by taxi and I can't afford them at the moment.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Quirky location of the hospital, I can only get there by taxi and I can't afford them at the moment.
Look into whether there is a patient transport scheme local to you. The PALS at the hospital should be able to advise.

I volunteer for one which is a charity, we do charge but it’s a lot cheaper than taxis. From my house to the local hospital (9 miles each way) would be about £20 each way for a taxi, but my charity would charge £14.40 return.

Sometimes they are organised by the hospital itself, sometimes a separate organisation.

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @BarbaraG , hospital transport or local church volunteers, if you really want to get there you’ll find a way. Let us know how you get on.

mouseee

Have you attempted to change your diet? My mum was T2 and couldn't lower her bg, even on insulin but she'd also snack on haribo and biscuits.
Many of us have reduced our bg with low carb diets.
Definitely find a way to get to the hospital!

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m soEry to hear of your dilemma. Ring hospital transport as it’s classed as an outpatient appt you should be able to use this facility.
What is your typical day of eating? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and what do you drink?

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Similar to what happened to me, I was running high for nearly 10 months before they gave me insulin. No amount of dietary changes would bring it down (I had been controlling it by low-carb diet for years before this happened). I had to get really pushy, requested a number of appointments and spelled it out to them that it was damaging me - my eyes were blurred for a start! And I was getting ketones. Now that I'm on insulin my glucose has come down to acceptable limits.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedbird