Type 2 High BG levels

tmohammad

Dislikes
NHS guidlines denying me test strips!
I have been a Type 2 diabetic since 2009. Originally diet controlled, and then about 5 years ago put on metformim. Problem is that all the time levels have been rising! I walk a lot but still not making a difference, when I awake in the morning, fasting levels are 11 to 13.

Today, as I am a Muslim, I have bee fasting since 4:30am and when I tested 15 hours later, (Without having any food or water whatsoever) the level is 11.8.

Can anyone tell me what to do.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been a Type 2 diabetic since 2009. Originally diet controlled, and then about 5 years ago put on metformim. Problem is that all the time levels have been rising! I walk a lot but still not making a difference, when I awake in the morning, fasting levels are 11 to 13.

Today, as I am a Muslim, I have bee fasting since 4:30am and when I tested 15 hours later, (Without having any food or water whatsoever) the level is 11.8.

Hi there

What a lot of us type 2s have found is our carb heavy diets significantly effects our blood sugars leading to progression of worsening conctrol, increasing drugs as a band aid fix and eventually a path to insulin. The NHS guidance can push ‘healthy carbs’ and that doesn’t match our actual evidence as you will find on the forums

however, by reducing carbs significantly there have been amazing results for many leading to remission in some cases (myself included) coupled with other useful effects such as weight loss in many

so, no guarantees but there may be options

so… what is your diet currently? Have you had a recent hba1c result? Also do you have any extra weight? Whilst carbs are a direct impact it seems, excess weight doesn’t help

it sounds like you test already. If you are able to test before meals and 2 hours after the first bite, a rise of 2 or less is a good sign that the food you have had is having a good impact. Greater than that and the food is not good for you

I am not knowledgeable in fasting, but wonder if not having any water may have an extra impact on your levels. Quick google indicates it may

Reactions: Antje77

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Greetings Mo
Have you had your fasting insulin or c-peptide levels checked.
Just to determine how much insulin your body is producing.

tmohammad

Dislikes
Hi there

What a lot of us type 2s have found is our carb heavy diets significantly effects our blood sugars leading to progression of worsening conctrol, increasing drugs as a band aid fix and eventually a path to insulin. The NHS guidance can push ‘healthy carbs’ and that doesn’t match our actual evidence as you will find on the forums

however, by reducing carbs significantly there have been amazing results for many leading to remission in some cases (myself included) coupled with other useful effects such as weight loss in many

so, no guarantees but there may be options

so… what is your diet currently? Have you had a recent hba1c result? Also do you have any extra weight? Whilst carbs are a direct impact it seems, excess weight doesn’t help

it sounds like you test already. If you are able to test before meals and 2 hours after the first bite, a rise of 2 or less is a good sign that the food you have had is having a good impact. Greater than that and the food is not good for you

I am not knowledgeable in fasting, but wonder if not having any water may have an extra impact on your levels. Quick google indicates it may
Thanks for that, I see you lost a whole load of weight. Was that due to low carb or something else?

tmohammad

Dislikes
Greetings Mo
Have you had your fasting insulin or c-peptide levels checked.
Just to determine how much insulin your body is producing.
To be honest, I dont even know what that is! Surely its the Doctors that should guide us on these aspects...

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, I see you lost a whole load of weight. Was that due to low carb or something else?
Hi there,

So, I significantly reduced my carb intake but personally I also reduced my calorie intake and also increased my exercise. I got an exercise bike during the first lockdown and just made an effort to do 30mins a day; which I have kept up for the duration, I manage now, in general, about 60mins exercise a day which tends to be a mix of walking and bike. I also now try to go to the gym to do a bit of weights etc. not as successful in that

to maintain I have to keep monitoring my carbs and calories. If I increase the carbs I deifinitly notice the weight and blood sugars creep up

so, I cannot 100% say for me it was totally just carbs, but I can say they definitely are bad for my bloods