High Blood Glucose Levels

L-Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I need advice, I cannot lower my levels for the past 5 weeks my levels have been around 20 mmol/L and been feeling really ill because of it. I've contacted my nurse beginning of last week about it telling to increase my humalog insulin. Been doing so and nothing is happening.

What do I do? Carry on doing so or go to A&E?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried changing your insulin, i.e. using a different bottle/pen, and if that has failed, obtained a new prescription?

L-Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been on the same pens since november and never had any issues until now. Apart from reactions to insulin where it's red and itchy but only a few times that's happened. The earliest I can see my nurse at the hospital is May.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's only been happening 5 weeks I'd get a new script issued and see if it resolves with a fresh supply of insulin. That would be the first thing to do. If it doesn't work then correct with boluses and look into increasing your basal with some basal testing.

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Another cause may be taking your insulin in the same spot. Have you tried different areas, tummy, leg, arms? It's important to rotate areas because lumps of insulin can gather under the skin and new insulin injected there will not work as well.
Just a tip, when I'm high i inject into my muscle, top upper arm for quick response. It doesn't hurt and if it doesn't bleed you're good to go. If it bleeds after keep testing to make sure it works - it always worked for me blood or not but that's what i was told.
Good luck