High blood pressure response to lCHF, what to expect?

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all:)

I'm interested in hearing about other peoples' experience of LCHF effects on blood pressure and specifically hypertension.

Some background:
I was diagnosed with hypertension 12 years ago (44yrs): 179/119 :wideyed:
I'm now on amlodipine (calcium channel blocker) and ramipril (ace inhibitor).
For the last few years my BP has been fairly stable at about 130/80 (annual checks).
At my latest review my diastolic had crept up to 85.

As a result of my Type 2 diagnosis and subsequent change in diet I bought a BP monitor and my recent average is 123/82. So sadly not stopping the meds any time soon :D. I'd like to stop the amlodipine because I worry about the effect of calcium channel blocking and relationship to diabetes (although this is just random worry, for all I know the ACE inhibitors could be more of a problem!)

I've been scanning other peoples results and it looks (eyeball evidence:D) that BP might respond more slowly (or not at all) to LCHF when compared to weight and BG. I'd be really interested to other people's experiences which might help to set my expectations for my hypertension to a realistic level.
CoP

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine certainly normalised but it did indeed take a large chunk of weight loss before it did.
I'm guessing you have tried the 24 hour monitor to exclude "white coat syndrome"?

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
exclude "white coat syndrome"
Yeah I get that, the practice nurse and i just ignore the first reading :)
My original diagnosis was from a 24 ambulatory assessment (they couldn't believe the in clinic readings on the day!) but haven't done one since.

Weight loss is definitely an aim so hopefully it will also help with BP, nothing to lose (well except fat obvs:))

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all:)

I'm interested in hearing about other peoples' experience of LCHF effects on blood pressure and specifically hypertension.

Some background:
I was diagnosed with hypertension 12 years ago (44yrs): 179/119 :wideyed:
I'm now on amlodipine (calcium channel blocker) and ramipril (ace inhibitor).
For the last few years my BP has been fairly stable at about 130/80 (annual checks).
At my latest review my diastolic had crept up to 85.

As a result of my Type 2 diagnosis and subsequent change in diet I bought a BP monitor and my recent average is 123/82. So sadly not stopping the meds any time soon :D. I'd like to stop the amlodipine because I worry about the effect of calcium channel blocking and relationship to diabetes (although this is just random worry, for all I know the ACE inhibitors could be more of a problem!)

I've been scanning other peoples results and it looks (eyeball evidence:D) that BP might respond more slowly (or not at all) to LCHF when compared to weight and BG. I'd be really interested to other people's experiences which might help to set my expectations for my hypertension to a realistic level.
CoP
My blood pressure is on the way down and has been so since starting lchf. It had reached a peak last year / early 2019. Since going lchf I have halved my blood pressure medicines and my blood pressure is only heading in one direction now and that is down.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My original diagnosis was from a 24 ambulatory assessment (they couldn't believe the in clinic readings on the day!) but haven't done one since.

Weight loss is definitely an aim so hopefully it will also help with BP, nothing to lose (well except fat obvs:))
Lchf has decreased my blood sugar levels, reduced my weight and reduced my blood pressure. All by significant amounts. Also of course along with the reversal of diabetic symptoms.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes I was about to be medicated for Hypertension (just before T2 diagnosis) but after the 24 hour monitor it was decided not to. Then post weight loss after LCHF and IF they came down to normal. These days about 115/75

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have low carbed since my type 2 diagnosis in May 17. As well as putting my HbA1c s into the non diabetic range, I have lost a shed load of weight and my hypertension is much improved. My diabetes diagnosis was actually a result of routine blood tests for my hypertension which had been diagnosed at a level of something like 165/90 (can’t remember exactly) some ten years earlier. In May ‘17 I had a BP of 140/88 on Amlodipine and Ramipril, so the same meds as you. After 9 months I was getting dizzy spells when I stood up quickly and my BP was reading 124/77 so with my Dr’s agreement I stopped the amlodipine. After a further 8 months the dizziness returned, BP was around 119/73 so my Ramipril dose was cut. I currently remain on 5mg of Ramipril. My latest readings this month are averaging 117/75. I noted that my blood sugars came down very slightly when I dropped the Amlodipine but am happy to stay on the small dose of Ramipril as I believe it has kidney protective properties.
Stick at it, it did take time for my BP to come down, blood sugar reduction and weight loss were far more rapid.

Last edited:

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
routine blood tests for my hypertension which had been diagnosed at a level of something like 165/90 (can’t remember exactly) some ten years earlier
Wow we share a lot in common with regard to progression of disease. I wonder if we'd tried LCHF in response to the hypertension if it would have worked.......?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ncver went really LCHF, but after losing weight and achieving a normal BMI, I am off BP meds. My home monitor says my last 10 tests average 113/76. I had to stair step down the Lisinopril during weight loss.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BP at the time of D2 diagnosis in Dec 2020 was in the range of 150/90, after three hours of low carb diet, its on 135/85, i was quite disappointed as i thought within 3 months i should be back to 120/80 range. But it seems BP takes time to come down. Do you guys think this decrease is acceptable within three months?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Get a home monitor and check a couple of times a day and average our over 7 days you can not base much off a single clinic visit

You BP can change a lot in just a few minutes

One day I had 210/110. And just a few hours later it was 175/80

In fact even if you go does a test now and another in 30 seconds there will probably be 2 different results

So your 05 change on diastolic doesn’t really mean anything

As I say best way is an average over 7 days