High blood sugar all day and drops at night

joanna2468

I'll wake up with a blood sugar of 5, eat 20g of carbs, take 2 units of insulin and a few hours later my blood sugar is 12 and will stay at around 12 regardless of what i eat and how much insulin i take. Then my blood sugar will start dropping really fast in the evening and I'll wake up like 3 times at night with a hypo.

My blood sugar levels used to be almost perfect all the time and have only started being this uncontrollable over the past few weeks. My lantus is 20u and my ketones are fine.

Does anyone know whats going on?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @joanna2468 :)

Firstly assuming you are type 1 ? Are you adjusting your insulin doses or do you speak to a diabetic nurse ?

Unfortunately no one here can second guess what's going on, however insulin needs do change from time to time, whether it's because your insulin has gone off, you've got issues with injections sites, are coming down with a bug, hormones are playing up etc etc the list for why our needs change is long.

Your blood glucose levels can go up in the morning due to the dawn phenomenon where your liver dumps glucose into the blood stream to get you up and about, and going low in the night could mean your background insulin is too much and needs adjusting.

What you do you need to do is to speak to your nurse asap as avoiding night time hypos is vital, so can you call today and explain what's going if you're not comfortable adjusting your doses yourself ?