high blood sugar and diet

chatters78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I have recently decided to take the plunge and modify my diet rather than rely on the medication that was prescribed as it was making me ill and depressed.

I'm following a low to no carb diet and after my first week I've had a 4lb loss which is great. But I have not seen a drop in my blood sugar level. (I have a home tester). I was wondering if anyone else is following this type of diet and how long was it before you saw a reduction in blood sugar levels?

I'm type 2

Thanks
De.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally the technique would be to test about two hours after a meal and if the reading is high go over the constituent parts of the meal to find out why. Next time you have that meal cut out/down the offending item.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well you are now serving as your own practitioner so good luck. I'd see if you can get your provider to prescribe something that did not make you feel "ill and depressed", because not all Type 2's can achieve decent control with diet alone, and that may include you. You hear all these testimonials about how no carb diets cure the common cold and all that, but they make those pills for a reason, and you may be one of those reasons. And if one pill did the trick for every patient then every patient would get the same pill. No more incessant TV advertising of new diabetes medications showing how profoundly happy YOU CAN BE if you get ahold of it. Right?

chatters78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Normally the technique would be to test about two hours after a meal and if the reading is high go over the constituent parts of the meal to find out why. Next time you have that meal cut out/down the offending item.

Thanks Squire I'll give that a try

M

ME_Valentijn

Hi
They have been about 12 mark
It might be a good idea to take prescribed meds until you get stabilized at a lower level, then worry about maintaining that with diet alone. If the first ones you tried caused unpleasant side effects, your doctor should be able to find an alternative for you that works better.

Reactions: chatters78

chatters78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well you are now serving as your own practitioner so good luck. I'd see if you can get your provider to prescribe something that did not make you feel "ill and depressed", because not all Type 2's can achieve decent control with diet alone, and that may include you. You hear all these testimonials about how no carb diets cure the common cold and all that, but they make those pills for a reason, and you may be one of those reasons. And if one pill did the trick for every patient then every patient would get the same pill. No more incessant TV advertising of new diabetes medications showing how profoundly happy YOU CAN BE if you get ahold of it. Right?

That is very true, the one pill fits all is a trap my Doctors have definitely fallen into. I was told in my last review to pretty much get on with it. So I am, just not in the way they want. I've been on various meds for 4 years without much improvement.