High Blood Sugar Cause Anger?

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have recently been told by doctor that my blood sugar has gone up slightly I had got it to where it should be last 2 blood tests. I have type 2 over a year now.

I have just been for an italian meal and someone said something that upset me. Well I was furious and so upset my hands shaking ,heart pounding ,I told my other half I had to leave.

I have since calmed down and cant understand my reaction, not like me at all. Really wasn't such a big deal.
My question is could I have eaten something that had sugar in it I wonder? Does any else get those effects? I felt like I wanted to run away, very strange.

Thank you

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hi @lotuslight, yes I get irritable if my BG is over 9, and if it's over 11 I can get very angry. Highest I've ever measured it was 15 and I was a mess, emotionally.

It's not an excuse but I only recently learned this about myself. Even knowing it, I still find it extremely hard to control myself, going from 0 to 100 in seconds flat. My strategies are to walk away, or say I'm feeling upset (instead of yelling)... my family know what that means and we are dealing with it better now.

I think I am more sensitive to BG changes than most, though.

Most foods on offer at an Italian restaurant are high in carbs (delicious though they are!). There are ways to choose restaurant food to minimise carbs but in the first instance, if you want to ask anything about reducing your BGs in general, we are here to help. Did your doctor say what your blood test result was?

Tagging @daisy1 for her new members info pack, too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lotuslight. Sorry to hear about your experience this evening. Do you have a blood sugar meter at home, if not may I suggest you invest in one? With the Dr saying your sugars are rising you really need to know what’s happening when you eat certain foods. As Jenny has said Italian restaurants are a minefield of carbs which Type 2s don’t tolerate well, as all carbohydrates turn to sugar once eaten. Also it would be worth finding out what your levels taken at the Drs were since diagnosis so you can see how much they have changed now. Ask for a print out at reception or register for on line access to your results. Any further questions fire away, there’ll always be someone to help you.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you both for the reply.

I tried to eat non carb food but i do worry about the sauces. I had 2 or 3 small potatoes with chicken in cream so i didnt think that was too bad.Then a latte.

The doctor said 50 :( it was 80 a year ago so he said he wasn't too worried.
Doc advised not to test as i am an anxious person but maybe id feel more in control.

My thyroid had gone very low.I gained 4 pounds in 1 week despite doing 10000 steps a day.
Thats what made me ask for a test.

My husband has told me its cause i eat too much , i know its my throid.

Pretty down at the moment feel like no support.

So thankyou im really touched that you have taken the time to reply. Means alot:)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
50 from 80 is a great improvement, well done!

The only way to know what effect a food or a combination of food is having on your levels is to test, unfortunately. At the first bite, and then two hours after - I understand from reading on here that a rise of more than 2mmol for a T2 means that the carb content or portion size need looking at. I’m sure there’ll be a few folk along shortly who can give you more advice (I’m T1 so in a slightly different boat, although I do eat low carb).

Are you due to see your doctor or diabetes nurse any time soon so you can raise this with them? Stress doesn’t help diabetes at all (my glucose levels soar when I’m anxious, to the point where I have to take a shot of insulin), and uncontrollable sugar levels won’t help your anxiety either.

Sending hugs, it’s not easy xxx

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your drop from 80 to 50 is fantastic! As you say sauces are tricky however I suspect the latte too, milk has lactose a type of sugar in and of course a latte is mostly milk, a black coffee with cream would be a pleasant carb free end to a meal instead.
Are you on any meds or just diet controlled? I eat low carbs and take Metformin plus I have self tested since diagnosis in May 17, that’s got my HbA1c down to non diabetic levels. I would actually feel more anxious working blind but that’s me, you need to decide what’s best for you.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks again for your helpful comments.

I am taking two metformin a day, my dad just recently had a heart attack so i think iv been comfort eating alot.
And very stressed.

My main problem is although people tell me you cant get low sugar on metformin im convinced i do. Especially in hot weather.
I get dizzy, feel faint , cant talk properly and eating always solves it.

So i eat carbs to avoid this ,it feel like my safety net when in fact i know its probably worse!

But i dont feel those effects as bad.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am taking two metformin a day, my dad just recently had a heart attack so i think iv been comfort eating alot.
And very stressed.

My main problem is although people tell me you cant get low sugar on metformin im convinced i do. Especially in hot weather.

So i eat carbs to avoid this ,it feel like my safety net when in fact i know its probably worse!

So sorry to hear about your Dad, of course that’ll make you feel stressed. You may be suffering false hypos where your blood sugars are lower than your body is used to but not really low in the true sense of hypos. If they are worse in hot weather you may find you’re dehydrated and will feel better having a drink of water. You won’t know without testing at the time you feel wobbly what your sugar level really is though. When I went low carb I reduced my carb count slowly so I didn’t suffer carb withdrawal symptoms or carb flu as it gets called.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

And very stressed.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, that is a worrying time indeed.

I have had similar diabetes issues as you are having and I agree with the others that being able to test your BG at home will be key to turning things around this time. You are under more stress than the first time so you will probably need to try a new approach.

It's very unlikely you would get a hypo (very low sugar) on Metformin but the only way to know is to BG test at home at the time.

It's much more likely that you are getting hypers (high sugars) that make you feel dizzy, faint and not talking properly. Eating solves it but only for a short time. It becomes a vicious cycle but it is easily fixed with BG testing to see what types of foods are best for your body. We are all different.

Metformin isn't usually enough to control blood sugars unless you're also making the right food changes. Increasing the dose doesn't help much and may give you chronic diarrhoea, which is unpleasant and can make your health and stress levels even worse.

If you are worried that you might become obsessed with BG testing, then just make sure you only do the number of tests that will add value to your diabetes management plan. This will probably be an average of less than 10 tests a day for a few weeks and then occasional tests afterwards unless something else happens. Probably. I mean, more than one test a day but less than 30 a day. We can help you with ways to do the testing to minimise sore fingers.

You will probably have to self-fund the meter and test strips, but @Bluetit1802 has some info about the cheapest reliable meter available in the UK and she will post it here for you.

You're in the right place and you're already making progress towards getting things turned around. I am very optimistic for you! Keep asking questions.

Reactions: Prem51

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear about your Dad, that is a worrying time indeed.

I have had similar diabetes issues as you are having and I agree with the others that being able to test your BG at home will be key to turning things around this time. You are under more stress than the first time so you will probably need to try a new approach.

It's very unlikely you would get a hypo (very low sugar) on Metformin but the only way to know is to BG test at home at the time.

It's much more likely that you are getting hypers (high sugars) that make you feel dizzy, faint and not talking properly. Eating solves it but only for a short time. It becomes a vicious cycle but it is easily fixed with BG testing to see what types of foods are best for your body. We are all different.

Metformin isn't usually enough to control blood sugars unless you're also making the right food changes. Increasing the dose doesn't help much and may give you chronic diarrhoea, which is unpleasant and can make your health and stress levels even worse.

If you are worried that you might become obsessed with BG testing, then just make sure you only do the number of tests that will add value to your diabetes management plan. This will probably be an average of less than 10 tests a day for a few weeks and then occasional tests afterwards unless something else happens. Probably. I mean, more than one test a day but less than 30 a day. We can help you with ways to do the testing to minimise sore fingers.

You will probably have to self-fund the meter and test strips, but @Bluetit1802 has some info about the cheapest reliable meter available in the UK and she will post it here for you.

You're in the right place and you're already making progress towards getting things turned around. I am very optimistic for you! Keep asking questions.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jenny yes I think that is the way forward so I can be sure.
Are urine tests not any good is it only blood testing worth doing?

Thank you so much , I wont ask anything more today sorry.
I know I am asking lots of questions.

Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks

Please don’t be sorry for asking questions, I wouldn’t be in such a good state of health now if I hadn’t asked questions and boy did I ask some questions! As for urine testing, glucose will only register on those type of test strips when the blood sugar level exceeds around 9, I think I’m right in saying. Blood sugar testing measures much more accurately and down into the normal levels of blood sugar you are looking for, that is 4 - 7 before meals and under 7.8 after meals. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Lezils

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@lotuslight

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Lezils

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Thanks
Hi @lotuslight, glad to see that @Rachox answered your question before I returned. Please ask as many questions as you need to, and have a read of Daisy1's info above. There is no such thing as a silly question. Best wishes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Reactions: Rachox

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much every body all very helpful information :)