high blood sugar effect on concentration

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,

i was just wondering if you find that when your blood sugar is high, it is very difficult for you to focus on work?

for me this is definitely the case. if i'm above 11, i feel like my focus drifts away and im very sluggish.

it makes me feel guilty for not being productive when im trying to study for example.
is anyone else the same?

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I do find it very difficult to concentrate, and think really, when I'm in double figures. So I work hard to avoid getting up there and if I find my self up there I correct.

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Focus - I play video games in my spare time. Being at e.g. 12 vs 6 is a matter of finishing last or first (literally). The difference in the ability to focus is ginormous.

This goes for anything requiring mental energy.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,

i was just wondering if you find that when your blood sugar is high, it is very difficult for you to focus on work?

for me this is definitely the case. if i'm above 11, i feel like my focus drifts away and im very sluggish.

it makes me feel guilty for not being productive when im trying to study for example.
is anyone else the same?

Absolutely! and if you're frequently running high you may stop noticing the affect and it becomes the norm for you. It was for me. Now I'm much sharper in the brain, more cheerful, more... me!

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
I live with this issue on a minute by minute basis! It makes me feel like not eating, which usually results in my eating anyway and feeling my body go sluggish. I also feel guilty when this happens during work because my work is not the same.

Took me a while to realise that when I feel depressed or particularly when I feel suicidal I should be testing my blood sugar and correcting accordingly

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe if you're REALLY high. but 10-11 I don't think it would affect mentation especially if it were temporary. It might be more psychological rather than physical/chemical.